X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Upgrad

Currently running the stock carter card on the original 258 I-6 in my 84 cj-7. I am thinking of upgrading and was wondering what you all thought would be the best bang for the buck. I realize FI would be the ultimate but I don't have the cash at the moment. What do you think I should install and how difficult would it be to do myself?

Well alot depends on your mechanical abilities and carb knowlegde. If you dont have alot time or knowledge in carbs there is a guy on ebay that sells a nice looking kit for a MC2100. Forget how much he charges but I know its less than a weber kit.

Comment

Well GEEP did you decide what carb you are going to upgrade with? I am having problems myself and thinking of replacing mine.

Comment

somebody needs to wait and check out the new Holley 470 cfm truck avenger. sounds like the perfect carb for the 258.

Comment

When does Holley come out?

Comment

i did the mc2100 swap on my I-6 and i love it. it was VERY simple to do, tuning it is simple and installation was easy. runs very smooth. Another thing you can do to help out is install an HEI distributor. This is also simple to do and helps out the I-6's performance.

Comment

someone

Someone please tell me what an mc2100 is

thanks

Comment

Its a Motorcraft/Autolite carb that came on some Jeep V8's and alot of ford V8's.

It will run at just about any angle and I have tested that. Also it is very forgiving in the tuning and is easy to rebuild.

Comment

adapter

Do you need an adapter to put the mc2100 on the 258 intake or what? Also what else is needed to make the swap? Thanks

Justin

Comment

Carter POS to ??? conversion

I did this swap to my '89 Sahara about a yr ago, opting for the Weber 38DGES. Like you, I woulda prefered FI, but the $$ thing came into play. And Holley does make a 4 barrel for Jeep six bangers, but you also have to swap out intake manifolds which is kinda costly.
                    The Weber I'm running, with the stock intake, performs very well.....and certainly beats the Carter all to hell!
                    Friendly advice...If you do choose to do the Weber conversion, save yerself some aggrevation and get some shouldered adapter studs in place of the Weber provided ones. There is a very good reason for this, trust me.
                    boj

Comment

Done

Due to time constraints, I got a rebuilt Carter BBD from the local parts store. I' m very happy with it. That jeep runs better than ever.

Justin

Comment

I am extremely relieved that soeone else asked what a mc2100 was- I was beginning to feel really stupid. I did however, contact the nearest Jeep shop, and they won't even sell Holleys, although I am waiting to hear about the 470.

Comment

Here is a write up on the 2100 install on a 258

http://www.rocktaxi.com/motocraft/42carbswap.html

Im not a fan of Holleys. I thnk they are to finicky and require alot of retuning. The 2100 is probably the easiest and cheapest swap out.

Comment

mc2100

Hi Guys, I purchased the mc2100 from Mike on ebay. He did some mods on the carb such as the throttle cable where you can get rid of the set up that attaches to your intake and also for the spring. i purchased the carb for 280.00 and the best money I spent on this jeep. I promise you it runs great in the cold and starts right up. I know longer have the vacuum hose and I got rid of the metal fuel line that goes to my gas tank and to the fuel pump. When I first started my jeep after I put on the carb you would not believe the idle. Mike sells you the adapter plate, both metal mods so you can attach your throttle cable and spring and all the gaskets you need. Mike can be reached at 1-719-572-6814 or on ebay. I am not a big time mechanic but replacing this carb was a breeze.

Comment

What is Mike's ebay user name?

Comment

Working...
                              X