X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions wanted about trannys and such

So my 304 leaks oil (I know... very typical) and now my tranny (T-176) or my transfer case (Model 300) is leaking. This second leak I am a little more concerned with b/c it is the bigger leak and potentially more destructive. I suppose I could continue to patch all this stuff up. But I think the 304 needs a complete rebuild. It is a '76 and has never been rebuilt. I have replaced bits and pieces of it but never had it completely stripped down. The tranny needs some repair to the syncs b/c 2nd gear is tricky to find... you gotta double-clutch most of the time and actually release the clutch as you slide it into gear. (No big deal since I am the only one who drives it and have gotten very good at finding the gears.) The transfer case shifting is interesting. If I drop to 4L I usually gotta pop the clutch as I shove on the shifter to move it to neutral. Then going to 4H and 2H is ok. But the shifting difference between the two is so minimal that you gotta play with it a bit to make sure you are in 2H. Ok... so this tell you where I am. My plan is to continue to dump fluids in on a regular basis and continue to drive until it all blows apart (not a daily driver and I never go more than about and hour away from home in it so not a big concern). This may happen next year or 3 years from now... who knows. Mainly just throwing out a topic for discussion.

So my plan is to start saving some cash. I want to drop in a chevy 350... a nice one... either freshly rebuilt or a factory one. May go FI... but may stay carb... not sure. I know the pros and cons of both.

So my question is this. If you could pick a nice 5-speed tranny and transfer case what would you choose with the 350? I would rather it be something I could buy online or at a local shop instead of having to go searching a junk yard and having to rebuild something. I want something fairly common so that parts are easily found and more affordable. Prefer something new over something rebuilt. And it needs to fit in a CJ-7. What are the common setups like this?

I suppose another option would be to rebuild the tranny and trasfer case and bolt it to the new motor. Any opions on this option? What would be a better combo?

Also should have mentioned that this will be mostly a road vehicle... with some offroad (mud and rocks)... nothing too extreme.

Comment

If you want a 5-speed, it’s going to get expensive. With a 350 Chevy, you need to find a NV4500 out of a Chevy. Adapt that to your Dana 300. Do you really need that 5th gear? The T-176 is a good medium duty tranny. Plus the 304 can be rebuilt to give a little more power. If it’s more power you’re looking for, keep an eye out for an AMC 360. That will up the torque factor and is a direct bolt in from the 304. Just my opinion.

Comment

I agree with tk on this one. The T-176/D300 is a pretty good combo. You can get an adapter to fit them to a 350 for about $400. The chevy is a good motor and parts are cheap but you're looking at around $600 for adapters to fit it in your CJ. A 360 out of a Waggy you can get cheap and the $600 saved on adapters will buy a lot of goodies. I have the same set up as yours on my CJ-5, with a 600 Edelbrock and headers I can break 33's loose in 3rd gear.

Comment

Originally posted by tkcomer
          If you want a 5-speed, it’s going to get expensive. With a 350 Chevy, you need to find a NV4500 out of a Chevy. Adapt that to your Dana 300. Do you really need that 5th gear? The T-176 is a good medium duty tranny. Plus the 304 can be rebuilt to give a little more power. If it’s more power you’re looking for, keep an eye out for an AMC 360. That will up the torque factor and is a direct bolt in from the 304. Just my opinion.
          Well... I know the big debate about AMC vs Chevy. But my opinion is that the Chevy parts are easier to find, the engine is much more common, and part-for- part usually is cheaper.

I know the 304 can be rebuilt and probably would be nearly as good as new if I did have it rebuilt and it was done right by someone who knew what they were doing. How much that might cost, I don't know. But I was using this as an opportunity (or excuse with my wife) to switch over for the reasons listed above. So going to Chevy was not so much about power. The power I have in the stock 304 is plenty for what I do with it. Going to the 350 vs the 305 Chevy again was only about how common the engine is not so much about power.

As far as a 5th gear goes... like my second post said, rebuilding the T-176 and the 300 is an option especially if it makes good sense to have it behind the 350... then I have to think about adapter costs too. It is mostly about trying to squeeze out a little more gas mileage and being able to run the engine at a slightly lower RPM. The jeep doesn't weight that much so it shouldn't need that much power to run down the street. 5th gear is not a must... it was just part of the orginal question for discussion purposes.

I don't think there are any "right" answers to this... just looking for some ideas about what others have seen or "wish" (like me) they had the money to do. I don't find myself around many other Jeep guys so my exposer to other jeeps is very limited. Most of the ones I run across are either TJ's or stock CJ's with the 258.
          Last edited by jeffm3434; 02-24-2005, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Well since you are doing a 3 year plan, try to find a 4500 out of a Chevy and bolt that to 350. One adapter out of the way. But I think you will need a body lift to clear the 4500 or some tunnel trimming. Advanced Adapters has info on this. The 300 is a great transfercase, but if you are having troubles with it, I suggest a rebuild now. Mine got noisy and I took it out and to a shop. Every bearing in it was sloppy and the shop was surprised the gears were in such good shape. But they also mentioned they generally don’t get a 300 until after some of the gears are gone. I only suggest the AMC route because it is cheaper. With no mods. Just rebuild the tranny and transfercase and bolt it back up. But the Chevy route is a viable alternative. It’s just more expensive.

Comment

you can buy an amc crate engine as well if you don't want to rebuild your own. if you want to buy new tranny and tcase, i'd suggest the atlas 4500/300 combo. they'll fit nicely behind either the chevy or amc motor.

Comment

Just my 2 cents worth...

I just dropped a chevy 305 out of a Monte Carlo SS and a short tail 350 turbo from a 4WD truck into my Jeep Scrambler. I bought a Novak adapter to keep my Dana 300, used stock manifolds from the Monte Carlo, and bought a conversion radiator off of ebay for $170.00 shipped (Xtreme Radiator sells them all day on there). A set of 4WD hardware's motor mounts finished it off and I have to say it was alot easier than I thought and the difference is night and day from the old 258. I even kept the stock driveshafts because I mounted the motor 3 inches forward of stock. Plenty of clearance, can get to every bolt on the tranny. I'd do it again in a second. It runs 100% smoother and has power to burn. Aluminum tub is next
                Good luck on your decision.

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
                  you can buy an amc crate engine
                  sorry to thread-jack - who sells these? just dreaming for the future.......

Comment

Originally posted by mjo79
                    sorry to thread-jack - who sells these? just dreaming for the future.......
                    i know jasper does because i looked at one time before i started rebuilding my own. you can also just take yours to a machine shop and have them rebuild it. if you go to bulltear.com they can probably tell you every amc literate machine shop in the country. it's an excellent amc site and very friendly as long as you don't act ****y on it.

Comment

Another option is a Ford 302. Not as common of a swap but a very common engine with plenty of parts available and a Ford bellhousing will bolt to your T-176. If you need help with any of this and are having trouble finding anyone around with Jeeps I live right outside Raleigh.

Comment

tranny and t-case

what i have and what i think is definately the way to go.....b/c it is a stout combination and you get 2 low with the t-case is a ford T-18 four speed mounted to a dana 20 t-case......i have a twinstick conversion on mine and i am very satisfied

Comment

Working...
                        X