X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cowl seal

I have an easy question, I'm getting water inside both sides of the jeep when it rain, by looking at my cowl seal under the window it looks like it's dry rotted and needs to be replaced, can i just pull the old one off and place a new one in there, is there glue or anything that might need to be put on the seal before it's placed?

Originally posted by skinhinajeep
    I have an easy question, I'm getting water inside both sides of the jeep when it rain, by looking at my cowl seal under the window it looks like it's dry rotted and needs to be replaced, can i just pull the old one off and place a new one in there, is there glue or anything that might need to be put on the seal before it's placed?
    Good luck. I have been having one heck of a time stopping mine from leaking. Can anybody please help? My feet get soaking from the water that leaks in. I have done the silicon sealer and the other 3M glue they have thats yellow.

Comment

Its pretty painless. You'll need to fold down the windshield to get at it. It comes right out and the new one goes in. I used a little RTV on both surfaces and it worked like a champ. One word of advice...I replaced mine and eventually found that it was not where the leak was coming from...mine was coming from the hood vent. But to go back to the question...once you have seal in hand and wrenches to bolts...30 minute job. You'll have to clean a bunch of crap out of there before replacing the seal. Unfortunately, there are about 4 places a leak can come from. I had to sit and watch from under the dash sitting still...tick tick..and I saw a leak about 15 minutes later.

Comment

leak

What did you do about the hood vent leak?

Justin

Comment

There is a seam that runs horizontally about 1" below the hole opening..aginst the firewall. It appears to be where 2 pieces of the body are joined. I had a leak there and put a small bead of RTV and it sealed it. As we were talking about in previous posts, hopefully that is it or the cowl. The windshield gasket can leak and dump water into the dash and you'd think it was coming from somewhere else. The bottom line..you may have to sit out there in the rain and wait for it to leak to really see where it is coming from.

Comment

Big Mike is right on. I've solved this problem twice on both my last CJ7 on my current one.

There's no need for silicone on the top and bottom of the gasket. I did however put a bead down the crack of the cowl gasket where the window frames goes into.

I also had the window repaced. While it was out, I sand blasted and repaired the rust spots, installed the window with a new gasket, and used black silicone around the outside seam.

No more leaks. I guess I'll wait for the hood vent to start leaking someday. :O)

Comment

Working...
            X