X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine swap

i just purchased a 1983 Cherokee for parts, mainly the 360 engine, it runs well but will only go in reverse. I hope to transplant the engine to my 84 cj7. The cj7 has a tire 258 automatic. Has anyone done this? If so any idea what other parts i can use from the Cherokee? Like engine mounts, radiator, steering column?

the motor should be an easy swap. you'll need the pass motor mount to a CJ with a V8, radiator, fuel line on the other side of the vehicle, maybe something else i can't remember. you're tanny is probably a t-4 which people will stone you for using.

you should also keep the fly wheel with the motor because amc v8's are externally balance.

Comment

I've read abut tons of 360 swaps.
      How you gonna mount it so it will go forward?

Comment

i not only read about it, but i've done it. the factory mounts will place the engine in the right position both side to side and front to back.

Comment

how can it be a t4 if its automatic??

Comment

What tranny are you going to use the one in the cj or try to swap the motor and tranny. Listen to Fubar on this one. The motor will drop right in with no problems. Should be able to use the raditor from the donor as well, if it's in good shape. my swap was with a 3 speed. bolted right in. not sure with a auto. If you decide to get new mounts, go with poly mounts. They hold up better then rubber mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jodean
              how can it be a t4 if its automatic??

it can be because i didn't read the original post good enough. or mabey it's that this has been addressed several times and set a minimum amount of time i was willing to allocate to an absolutely correct answer and it would have caused me to go over the limit allowed.

Comment

If I read your post correctly, then you have a tired 258 in front of an auto tranny and a good 360 in front of a bad auto tranny.

The bolt pattern is the same, so you can use your CJ's tranny behind the 360. As for durability etc. I know absolutely nothing about the Mopar trannies that came in CJs, so all I could say is try it and find out.

Comment

engine swap 360 amc to 84 cj7

thanks for the information. I just drove that Cherokee home, the seller's jaw dropped when I got it to go in a forward gear, I think it's maybe a linkage problem on the transfer case. Anyway the transmission in the Cherokee works to my surprise. That old Cherokee drives better than my CJ, huh...

Comment

Working...
                  X