X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle slipping

My rear axle on my jeep is slipping on the drivers side. It will only slip when i back up or drive forward...the first few inches is when it will slip then it kinda bangs like the splines are stripped in one spot but not the other, I went to my neighbors house and he told me it was either the axle shaft or some other part... i think he said the word key? I am not sure, and he is gone for a few weeks. I was wondering what that part was called... its a dana 44. Please help.

I assume this in on the 1960 CJ-5 in your Sig?

I have heard that on some of those older jeeps the axle shafts were not one piece like the newer D44 axles are. If this is the case, you have spun a shaft and it will need to be replaced. If you don't already have one, request a "classic Jeep" catalog from our gracious host, they should have what you need. The other option is to find a "flanged" axle and replace the entire rear end. While this would be a better long term fix, it may be a lot more $$.

You may want to post this in the classic jeep forum, those old timers might have a lot better info than we do here.

Comment

thanks...thats all i needed, and yes it is a 1960 cj-5.

Comment

Spence,you probably DID strip the "key" out of your axle.The model 44 you have was used from '48-'69 in the CJ's.
        The replacement parts & numbers you'll need are:

axle hub key #636374
        inner axle seal #640959
        axle shaft bearing set #set24a
        maybe? rear axle shim kit #805524
        outer axle seal #914802
        you may be able to reuse your studs,but why at 1.25each...#5353025
        axle hub #811351
        axle shaft nut #636344
        axle shaft dust cap if rq'd #641920

Those are out of the 4WD.COM/VINTAGE Winter 2006 catalog.
        Hope that helps.

Ragg

Comment

By the way Spence,where are you in Montana?
          The g/f and I are traveling thru next month.If you're on the way,how 'bout a beer?

Ragg

Comment

I live in Kalispell....about an hour south of Ureaka

btw....thanks for all the help!

Comment

No problem bud,that what this forums all about.AND why we all should try and buy thru 4WD 'cause they're footin' the bill for this site.

Ragg

Comment

Where do i look to find how many splines are on my jeep, and which axle shaft do i buy?

Comment

That's for sure. If I buy all these parts plus a winch and a bikini top....its putting me a little over 1k.....

Comment

Working...
                  X