X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to break away?

Well with the new JK and the flood of products for them I find myself getting very frustrated. Every time I see something new and cool it is for TJ or JK wranglers only! Even the new 4WD catalog seems to have more for the JK than my CJ.

Now don't get me wrong, I understand that new models tend to drive the aftermarket more than established models do. It is capitalism at its best (see a need, fill a need, make bank). I guess I am just feeling a little alienated. Seeing 4WD chasing after the JK and finding all those new and exciting parts for them is kind of like having my wife chase after a 22 year old lifeguard. It just sucks. Maybe if 4WD would publish a separate catalog for the CJs I would feel better, heck I could even handle it if they put the YJs in with the CJs. So if anyone from the staff is listening, thats my pitch. Wheres the love man, give us what we need!

Give us our own catalog so we can feel special again and not be tossed out like yesterday's pinto!

I can understand...tho I don't think I can see it happening. Our CJ's are old school and there is hardly any innovation left to the aftermarket for them with the newer models on the market.

There are some cool things that pop up now and then, but almost every catalog I get has the same stuff as everyone else. That leaves it to us, the owner/drivers to innovate the new cool stuff that no-one else has; like Hill, Bill E's half top project.

One thing I DO like about having the newer stuff and our CJ stuff in the same catalog, is I get to see what is out there that I can modify to fit my CJ. I want a certain Olympic rack that is not offered for CJ's...but I'll have fun modifying it to fit my CJ.

Comment

The new stuff out there gives us ideas for our rigs. Found a sweet tire/back rack. Don't make it for my 5. I'll use the pic as a platform for mine. Instead of paying $500 for it I'll fab it for about $150 in metal. Plus I get to say I made when I'm done. I use the book for ideas all the time! Just like my skid plate I made. I got ideas from the people on the cj forum. There's enough of us tinkerus kind around. If ya want some thing made all ya gotta do is ask. Ideas are always free!.

Comment

i noticed that a lot when doing the frame off on my CJ. back then it was tons of stuff for TJ and YJ, now YJ owners are going to know how we feel.

Comment

Valid point on the idea section, but it still kind of gets to me that all this new crap isn't really new... So what if bestop now makes a supertop for the JK? Or bushwhacker now makes 18 inch wide flares for the dumb things. If I saw innovation I could handle that, but this dribble is just sickening.

Why can't they put all the not really new stuff in one supplemental rag that I can use to wipe up the oil slick under my rig. That is what I intend to do with the yuppie scum that buys one of those things and immediately proceeds to get it stuck in the middle of a marsh that no one should have been in to begin with.
          I know, I know but I just need to vent a little if you all will excuse me.

If it isn't really new loose the hype!!

Comment

Originally posted by tracraym
            I know, I know but I just need to vent a little if you all will excuse me.

If it isn't really new loose the hype!!
            Heck yeah! I know how ya feel there. I feel that is another valid use for this forum, to vent as needed and get our gripes out and the feedback we need.
            The good ol' adage again: "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand".

Comment

i know i have a whole metal fabrication shop going i my head all the time...a good machine shop is gravy when you frabricate parts...look in the catalogs and have it made for 1/5 the price...not to say i havent bought anything...ive probably spent 2K's at 4wd hardware in the last few months...this forum saved my Jeep

Comment

They gotta sell all that crap for the new ones, so they can afford to keep a good supply of old cj parts. Remember all the ideas for the new one's came from an old cj idea. cj's will always be #1

Comment

I have a different situation my body & drive train is an '83 CJ 8 with a TJ motor and an XJ AW4 trans.

Comment

yep, in 20 years when the JK's start rotting in junkyards and our CJ's are still on the road (with god knows what parts) and worth 50 grand we'll see who has the last laugh...i'm really waiting for them to start pulling those ugly plastic fenders off the rubicons...whats next, an all plastic body tub...ohhh wait...that'd be sweet...but forget that...i saw a guy with a "real jeeps have round headlights sticker" the other day...it was on his TJ...i repeat, it was on his TJ
                    Last edited by the Captain; 04-09-2007, 12:46 AM.

Comment

I feel the pain!! I fell the pain!!!

But you also have to look at it from marketings side, they all ready have "us" as customers, they hope we will still turn to them first for what we need, and they may have it but not have room in the rag for it. What they want now is the new fish, the "yuppie" generation if you will, the ones buying the new JK's as thier first voyage into the "Jeep Thing". Well, they don't want them, per say, they want thier money!!

I still get a kick out of it when someone says "What year is that? a '98?"
                      I love thier reaction when I say "Nope, it's an '80" And hey, I don't even consider it old!

If I was able to work full time still, I would open my own Jeep Fab shop, just to supply the stuff that is getting hard to find. Unfortunately I can hardly keep up with what I want done to my own Jeep!

LONG LIVE the OLD IRON!!

Comment

Morning guys, I read your words and I feel your pain too since I also own a CJ
                        And they are all valid points, but we have to face the facts!
                        Numbers drive business and thats what drives the product R&D and production and also determines what is sold by companies like 4WD. But those products also support the CJ SR4 synchroring that you sell 10 of a year. Unfortunatly items have to pay their way in catalogs and in many cases JK,TJ & YJ parts help pay for the oddball stuff like hood bumpers and heater core seals. But that is not always the case, the new catalog will have a new CJ8 Supertop and that decison was not a numbers call, but neither was Jeep approved dash pads. Hang in there! We are looking for new "Quality stuff" every day, but its hard to find!
                        Last edited by woody; 04-09-2007, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Wow, you guys haven't been jeep owners long have you?
                          This has been happening as long as I have been building jeeps(30 years ago).
                          Just like others have said. The models change and the newer ones fall into the obsoleate catagory. I had to deal with it with my dads jeep 55-71, mine 72-75.
                          Then later with my 79.
                          And now with my 82, 84, 83.

Comment

i just want those guys in unmodified/repaired, newer model wuss jeeps to stop waving at me...they just don't get it...its not a Jeep thing...its about pride, workmanship, that comradere ya feel when ya see somebody in a vehicle that shouldn't be alive anymore but it is...i've traded waves with Harley riders, guys in old cars, and construction workers on backhoes...its that been there done that, PIA but it was worth it...so stop waving at me you dealership dicks!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by the Captain
                              i just want those guys in unmodified/repaired, newer model wuss jeeps to stop waving at me...they just don't get it...its not a Jeep thing...its about pride, workmanship, that comradere ya feel when ya see somebody in a vehicle that shouldn't be alive anymore but it is...i've traded waves with Harley riders, guys in old cars, and construction workers on backhoes...its that been there done that, PIA but it was worth it...so stop waving at me you dealership dicks!!!!
                              Oh, I don't agree with this. I had a cute chick in a TJ wave at me. Almost swung the jeep around to chase her.

Comment

Working...
                              X