X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to look for...

Well as some of you may know I was going in to replace a few parts. Today I was after the water pump. I pulled the radiator to give me more room to work and ended up pulling the front grill off to just open up the whole front end. I have not pulled the water pump yet but I was thinking about what else I should replace since I have complete access to the engine now. I am not sure the age of the Alt, PS Pump, or A/C. Would the timing chain be something to look into since I will have the pump off anyways? I would just rather not have to and do extra work down the road. I am anxious to get this done quick so I can drive it again but I also want to do it right. Any input on specific components would be helpful.

--Dan

what year what engine how many miles anything leaking belts ok?????????????

Comment

Went down this road and still going down it.

Once the cooling system was drained and radiator pulled, I changed out the water pump, thermostat, intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, coolant temp. sending unit, All hoses,LIE, I still have two to change, heater core, It had broken off its mount. Everything that had coolant running through it. I don't want somthing failing after it gets back on the road.

Comment

timing chains and gears are pretty cheap for jeeps so you may as well just replace it while ur in there...at least give it a good lookin at, checking for any wear or stretch in the chain and wear on the teeth of the gears...personally, i think i'd just go ahead and replace it all, depending on my funding and/or its cost

Comment

Sorry, its a 1979 cj-5 with the original AMC 304. I will be doing belts a thermostat and all hoses I can possibly get to. I did the heater core a couple of years ago. How much difficulty is involved in the timing chain and sprocket replacement? It can not be near as bad as it is on my Talon and I have done the belt so many times I know all of the tricks to get her dead on every time now. For the price, the timing kit is too cheap to pass on. I have been thinking of doing the intake gasket just because I am in that mood and it will be a good opportunity to clean it all up too. There are no leaks to speak of but the under side of the oil pan is a bit saturated so to speak. The jeep has been sitting for almost a year now. I may pull the pan and clean it all up too with a new gasket.

Comment

I have not done a 304 or a Talon, but I have done VW Jettas and a Ford 351. The 351 was a picnic. The VW I was wondering about just replacing the rings since I had the whole bloody thing just about there any ways!

I ditto the above. Any time I have to get that far in, I always (budget willing) do all the belts and hoses, gaskets, seals and such. Anything that can go wrong up there, I try to hit. If the belts are ok, and the budget allows, replace them anyway and keep the good old ones as spares.

Had a night job for a short while, never thought I would see 3 or 4 folks a week stopping in looking for belts because they broke one on the freeway and limped in to town.

Oh yeah, since you have your radiator out, flush it and the block, check and fix any fin damage, clean it all up and re-paint it. Maybe take it to a shop and have it pressure tested (usually free or really cheap). Better to know now than during the summer on thr trail or in traffic!
            Last edited by Gryphon; 04-10-2007, 10:44 PM.

Comment

if you can do a belt right you can do a chain with ur eyes closed...no problemo

Comment

Haha, good to know. I just ordered it tonight. along with a few other goodies.

Comment

getting the Jeep bug eh....ohhh yeeeeaaaa!!!!!

Comment

Lol, even though I really should wait, ahh well I'll make it by

Comment

Well it wasn't my original intention but I have stripped it down to the block. Just removed the heads a few hours ago. This may end up a full frame off restoration by the time I am done, haha.

Comment

Well, now your into it! About 14 months ago, I started just "tuning up" my 304", and ended up doing some crazy stuff and blowing it apart. Now I have a 360.

I think since you have it all apart, go ahead and change all the moving and bearing parts. Check for the ovaling of the cylinders and the overall condition of the cylinders. Parts are getting harder to find for this engine, but despite some negative things I've said about them, they are a great strong engine.

Where in NC are you? I know of some local parts stores that stock 304 parts if you are local to me. That comes in handy at 3pm on a Saturday when you dorked up the oil pump gasket, and you need to drive it to work on monday morning.

There are a lot of easy things to do to the 304 to make it a fire breather, so don't hesitate to ask the same guys I asked!

Comment

last time i pulled the grille i replaced the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
                            last time i pulled the grille i replaced the engine.
                            Me too!

Comment

It took me about 2 months to find the paint. A sample of before and after....

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...Picture174.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...cture033-2.jpg

More to follow as I make progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X