X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emission Control

Hi folks. I'm 6 months into a rebuild of a 77 CJ5 with an '83 258 that's been stripped of the computer and sensors. I'm about finished with the mechanical/electrical part of the job and would like to get it inspected for hwy use, but the EMPI carb won't pass. Basically the entire original emission system is missing except for the canister. I can get a Carter carb easily, but any advice on where to get the rest of the parts?

which state are you in? i passed in colorado with all the emissions junk stripped off and running a mc2100 carb and gm HEI ignition. passed the sniffer test and failed the visual inspection when he popped the hood...then he took $20 to turn the other cheek. maybe since i passed the sniffer test??? try to find a "good old boy" shop and bring them a case of beer and cross your fingers. good luck!

Comment

i have all my emissions stuff in a box in my garage...the solenoid switchs are broke but all the rest of it's there...are you sure you have an E-test on ur '77 CJ...they don't have to know its an '83 block ya know

Comment

I'm in Tx, there's no sniffer in this county just a visual, but DPS has been busting everyone who does the inspections, so as soon as you open the hood and they see an aftermarket carb and air cleaner, it's over. I've got an original air cleaner I can throw on a Carter and then lay vacuum hose all over everywhere and it might work, but I'm not sure. As soon as I get it inspected it's all coming off till next year.

Comment

Before I'd go to very much pain I'd throw a Tx. approved FI kit on and be done with it. Makes a lot nicer motor too. DP

Comment

I would move.....

Comment

an e test on a '77 huh...that sucks balls!!

Comment

Working...
              X