X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get the plug out?

How do you take out the drain plug on the rear differential of a model 20 from a 79 cj5? Looks like you have to put some type of insert in it and turn. Wondering if there is any special thing i need .
    Thnks
    T

I beleive it uses a 3/8" allen bit.

Comment

I think it is either a 3/8" or 1/2" square drive try using your ratchet on them

Comment

its a 3/8 allen just did mine the other day

Comment

Originally posted by Bodeen316
          its a 3/8 allen just did mine the other day
          Or it could be a 1/2 drive.
          Mine was 1/2 drive, I replaced it with a head style that can be removed with a wrench.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks guys mine is going to need the 3/8 allen bit to get it open. I like the idea of getting something else that has a piece sticking out of it for later changes.

Comment

if your taking off the diff cover too you should toss those torx head bolts for a hex head bolt...i had to use a bolt extractor on almost all mine after i broke two torx sockets...you can get zinc plated or stainless steel bolts for a nice touch also...and screw the cork gasket...cork is for bobbers and wine stoppers

Comment

change the fluid?

I'm thinking of putting the synthetic gear lube in my CJ7 1978 axles when I change the oil, etc., and wanted to see if anyone here has an opinion. Am I just wasting money, or is there a big benefit down the road.

thanks.

Comment

I used that royal purple stuff from our host. Crazy expensive but it sure quieted everything down. I used it in the entire drivetrain. The captain's right about the cork, get rid of it if you go to a sythetic.....it will leak.

Comment

Thanks guys

Wow what a simple task. I just used some 80w 90 gear oil when I changed mine. Synthetic is good but if you wheel you rig every day or weekend then stay with the regular stuff because I am sure that you will have to change more often . Good luck.
                    T

Comment

Working...
                    X