X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shackle Bushing Question

I need some ideas, insight and clarifications... I just purchased a Black Diamond 3" suspension lift for my "73" CJ5. I also purchased HD shackles at the same time. I will be installing these in the morning(maybe). As all of us do, I pulled all the stuff out of the boxes as soon as I got it to gaze and fondle the new parts. When I opened up the spring boxes I noticed that the bushings are cylindrical without any outside shoulders. They basically are a steel cylinder with rubber inside. The bushings are about a quarter inch narrower than the springs. Here's my hang up... When I slid the shackle into position I found that there is about a 3/16" gap on each side between the spring and the inside of the shackle. I thought that maybe I was missing the shouldered urethane caps so I called the tech and he said that the older Jeeps don't use shouldered bushings. He said that I should tighten it up and the shackles would bend inward and close the gap. He also said I could grind the spacer on the shackle to narrow it up but if I do that it would be too narrow on the frame mount end. I am concerned that if I do tighten them up, I will have metal to metal contact between the shackle and the spring. I fear that the spring flexing will wear on the shackle and squeak like a sonofa... I guess i'm confussed... All the kits I see pictured in the 4wd catalog show a shouldered bushing. The description on mine in the catalog says it comes with polyurethane bushings.. But the tech said that doesnt apply to my year jeep. Has anyone had any experience or information that can clear this up for me?

The tech was correct about bending them in...when installing them, all shops will tighten until they start to squeeze in and that will take up the gap. I would not want metal to metal on the outside...there is no shoulder rubber..odd?

Comment

I thought the "no shoulder rubber" was odd also.. I can live with pinching the shackles as long as it is'nt excessive but the metal to metal really bothers me.

Comment

just my ignorant opinion, but i'd ask if you can ship the small bushings back in exchange for the bigger ones. if they cost a couple dollars more, i'd still do it just for the sake of having the right bushings. if they won't let you do the exchange, (this is just me having a bad day today) i'd send the whole thing back and get one with bushings that have the shoulder. i doesn't matter a flying flipper what year you have, you should have shoulder bushings because: 1) you want them and you're the one paying for it 2) metal to metal is not good. there's no reason to bend your new HD shackles. again, this is just my opinion and what i would do.

on a side note, if the set doesn't come with greasable bolts, i'd get some from your local hardware store.

Comment

Thanks for the advise and opinions. I will get a better idea of what I'm up against in the morning when I jump into it. I have pretty much come to the conclussion that I will not settle with metal to metal. I will probably go down to my local 4x4 shop and get the stuff to fabricate my own bushings with shoulders. That should close the gap. And yes FUBAR, greasable bolts are already in the game plan. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
            just my ignorant opinion, but i'd ask if you can ship the small bushings back in exchange for the bigger ones. if they cost a couple dollars more, i'd still do it just for the sake of having the right bushings. if they won't let you do the exchange, (this is just me having a bad day today) i'd send the whole thing back and get one with bushings that have the shoulder. i doesn't matter a flying flipper what year you have, you should have shoulder bushings because: 1) you want them and you're the one paying for it 2) metal to metal is not good. there's no reason to bend your new HD shackles. again, this is just my opinion and what i would do.

on a side note, if the set doesn't come with greasable bolts, i'd get some from your local hardware store.

i would call super lift, they make the black dimond lift. if they say no, then i would send it back also... dont go and make your own .get what you pay for and wanted...

Comment

check out this pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/mjo79/71cj5.jpg

that's a 71 cj5 rockcrawler, which should have the same suspension setup as your 73. it looks as though he doesn't have shouldered bushings either. apparently that's the norm? did your "stock" suspension - what you're replacing - have shouldered bushings? maybe they're not stock.

don't get me wrong, do what you want. I would probably want shouldered bushings too - but I guess it's not essential?

Comment

Even though this topic has become a bit stale, I thought I would provide an update incase anyone else with an early model Jeep runs into the same issues. I contacted Black Diamond tech support and confirmed that the bushings are correct. I did some additional research and found that the this particular bushing application is the best for my "73". After installing the press fit bushings into the spring eye, I found that they do protrude slightly on both sides of the spring eye. The inner steel tube on the bushing makes contact with the spring hanger and the shackle. This allows the spring to flex freely without any binding. The only thing I did modify was the spacer on the shackle itself. I had to machine it down slightly in order for it to fit better on the hanger. I still have along ways to go on the re-build so I can't road test it yet. Again, this is just an update for anyone who may encounter this type of spring instalation. Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                X