X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy Small Block in a CJ7

I've heard of alot of people putting a SB Chevy motor in their CJ7. I have a working 289 with a tranny I can use and I'm wondering if anyone has put one of these in or if there any pro's and con's to using it. Thanks.

First off, what is the engine and trans out of? If it came from a car or 2wd truck the trans. won't work.

Comment

I'm not sure what the motor and tranny are out of. It has to be a truck because it's 4wd.

Comment

sbc is a common swap in CJs. it's also a good idea since parts are everywhere and cheap. i'd recommend pirate4x4 as a good source to seach for answers. just don't post a newbie question on there until tuesday.

Comment

Well you asked about a SBC and you state you have a SBF? Is it a 283 Chevy? Or a 289 Ferd? Or something else? The 283 is a high reving engine, good for mud, and going fast,but no torque for rocks, I'd sell it to someone with a old car and get a 350. The same with the ferd 289, it belongs in a Mustang, not a Jeep. You'll be better off with a 350 more torque and they are all around beter suited for a heep.

Comment

I'm feeling generous this morning, so I won't make you do a search for this...

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...l_block_v8.htm

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...buick_swap.htm

The two links above offer a lot of info for you to consider good luck!

Comment

Everyone seems to think doing a SBC conversion is a fiscally responsible alternative due to parts availability but I'm skeptical. My Dad is swapping a 232 for a 350 and for the amount of money he has into the project he could have bought a Corvette and rolled a 4x4 chassis under it instead. Some will argue they did their swaps for next to nothing but I'm guessing they had a yard full of old Jeeps and trucks and maybe a machine shop in the basement. Maybe it depends on whether you like to drive your Jeep or fabricate stuff for it.

In hindsight I'd have recommended to dear old pops that we morph a 258 and a 4.0 to make a 250 hp 4.6L fuel injected stroker that would have bolted right up to his existing drivetrain. His tranny is a T14 so it would need to be updated to something better, though.

Do a LOT of research so you can know the true cost before you dive in. You'll still have an endless list of $50 items that you hadn't anticipated.

Chilly

Comment

i've done both. i went froma 258 to a 304. then a 304 to an SBC 350.

i rebuilt the 304. the machine shop work cost me just under $1000. i found the machine shop through a freind and got a really good deal. if you have the motor rebuilt you're going to pay at least $1500 for all the labor plus parts. i spent in the neighborhood of $300-$500 for parts like pistons, cam, valves, whatever else. so what cost me at or under $1500 would cost most people about $2000 which is what a jasper engine would cost you if they even sell AMC rebuilds.

then you get motor mounts, intake, carb, fuel supply, radiator and what ever else that is going to be replaced with either one and it's more for those parts with AMC motors than SBC. the one place you'll save is the bellhousing, AMC 6 and 8 cyl use the same bellhousings.

you can buy a brand new 350 crate from jegs or summit for $1300-$1400. you could also buy a junk motor for under $100 to get all the brackets, pulleys and other accessys from. personally, i got someone's complete motor with about 2000 miles on it and paid just under $1000 for it complete and it runs like a raped ape. i got motor mounts, bellhousing, clutch, flywheel and what not for about $600. found an alum radiator in the clearance section at summit for $10. anyways, for under $2000 complete i have a motor that is so easy to work on and so cheap to upgrade it's a dream. my 304 was a constant nightmare with the oiling system parts were expensive as hell for it.

some swear by AMC motors, i just swear at AMC motors.

Comment

350 Sbc

I put a 350 SBC with a 4 speed munie in my CJ5. I used the original 3 speed T90 which made it thru one run and exploded. After two years it is nearly complete. You can see the progress on my link below. I ended up going with a glass body. All said, new motor from Jegs, e bay tranny, advance adapters parts, etc, etc,,.. probably $5-6K in parts and my labor. If I did it again I would have used a CJ7 to rebuild.

Dana

Comment

Originally posted by CJ+TJ=DJ
                    I put a 350 SBC with a 4 speed munie in my CJ5. I used the original 3 speed T90 which made it thru one run and exploded. After two years it is nearly complete. You can see the progress on my link below. I ended up going with a glass body. All said, new motor from Jegs, e bay tranny, advance adapters parts, etc, etc,,.. probably $5-6K in parts and my labor. If I did it again I would have used a CJ7 to rebuild.

Dana
                    I also put a sbc in my CJ5 and it is still not done. (started shortly after Fubar started his and he has been driving his for a good while) Mostly because I dont have the time to work on it or I go thru spells where I just dont want to work on it. It is very close to being done now. All I have left to do is put the pulleys and brackets on and get the driveshafts made. I went with a TH350 trans and a twinstick20 with a novak adapter and a hurst ratchet shifter. My rear driveshaft will be about 12" long, with a 4" lift so the angle is bad. Probably will have a cv in the driveshaft. I will leave that up to Tom Woods to decide. If I was ever to do it again, I would do a CJ7 also. Right now I have about 1500 in the motor swap and I got some good deals.

Comment

putting a SBC in a cj-7 is easy ... especially if you have the motor trany and transfer case.. only thing you need to change are the motor mounts and radiator..if your just going to run a carburetor ..evan better..
                      use HEI distributor one wire hook up fuel lines and exhaust and your good to go ...a few little odds and ends but nothing expensive.
                      i have done at least 4 SBC swaps into cj's,

may do another when and if my motor ever dies in my currant cj.
                      so don't worry .. do a little research .. lots of articles on it.. but it's really not that hard to do..

Comment

i spent 1200 bucks on a rebuild of a 304. overall through everything I must have spent close to 2k getting the motor in there, and I havent even touched exhaust yet. I guess I didnt notice it bc I have been down for over two years.

My other CJ with the 4.3 took me about 700 bucks including motor and the motor mounts, I had an Iron Duke 2.5 so I didnt have to spend any money on a bellhousing. A 350 would have been just as easy, but i wasnt about to put it in front of a t4, the 4.3 was too much for it as it was.

Comment

My jeep started life with the AMC 4 cyl. I spent well over $1000 swapping in the 258 that was given to me free when the 4 cyl died. (The 258 had a flat cam, so I had to invest $150 in cam lifters and gaskets)

An engine swap is expensive regardless of what brand you intend on putting in.

The best advise is this, decide what you want and go for it. Don't do what I did and try to stick with one brand or another for the sake of being a "purist." I could have taken that same $1K and installed my 4.3L engine that I really wanted and I wold be driving my jeep this summer instead of changing the motor again!

Comment

Working...
                          X