X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen bleeders

replaced the master cylinder on the CJ today. no problems getting the old one off or the new one on. all the fittings came aparts without a fight and went right back in the new one. bench bled the new master and then came bleeding the lines. the first one came loose like it was new, but the other three don't want to budge with anything short of dynamite. i soaked them down with WD40 last night. this has always worked in the past but not this time. i tried heat and tapping on it while trying to turn but no luck. i bought some PB Blaster and soaked them. i'll give them a couple more shots tonight and try it in the morning. i figured while i was waiting for that stuff to work that i'd pick your brains for anything that might help get these old bleeders out. they are definitely getting replaced. the one part i wasn't looking forward to was the proportioning valve, but that went like i'd done it 100 times and was done almost before i knew what i had done. i get a lot of good tips from you guys and hopefully somebody can come up with something for this. thanks.

Try this, use a six point deep socket on it.
    That is what I grab when they get tough.
    I use 1/4 drive so to not put so much on them to break them off.

Comment

X2. Since you are already bleeding them, it doesn't matter if air gets in. Works every time for me also.

Comment

I like vice grips.

Comment

Originally posted by GPER
          I like vice grips.
          I only grab for those after I have wrecked the corners. Since I started doing the 6 point trick I have not wrecked them. I broke one off in the wheel cylinder, but I was using a 3/8 long handle on it.

Comment

If they are rusted too bad, Get yourself some new wheel cylinders. They are really cheap to replace.

Comment

well, i let the bleeders soak in penetrating oil all night, gave them some more this morning, and tried EVERYTHING to get them out. those puppies aren't going anywhere. looks like that gives me a good excuse for new calipers and wheel cylinders. i did get all the air out of the master on the bench and was able to get the right rear open and bled. i have a solid pedal and brakes work like new. so i guess for now i'll run like this till i find the money to upgrade. i appreciate the ideas, thanks for your help.

Comment

That last post needs to go in the "Things a Jeeper would say" post.

Comment

Well before just before you get ready to buy a new wheel cylinder hit it with a 6point and a 3/8 drive. Of whenever you want to buy a new one try that.
                  Most liukely will break off the bleeder but you might get lucky.

Comment

Working...
                  X