X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulder Belt in pre 80

Has anyone ever installed shoulder belts in a pre 80 CJ? Restoring my 78 now and would like to put them in but I know that the bar is further back and not sure if it is workable. Anyone with any experience about which belt to buy and how to install would be appreciated.

Yes you can install them but you will have to do something different for the bolts that go into the rollbar. It was debated before the hack but that info is gone. I just welded a nut to the roll bar and threaded the roll bar. Some said that a bolt should be used all the way through. Whatever way you go you need at least a grade 8 bolt.

Comment

belts

Originally posted by oldjeeper
      Has anyone ever installed shoulder belts in a pre 80 CJ? Restoring my 78 now and would like to put them in but I know that the bar is further back and not sure if it is workable. Anyone with any experience about which belt to buy and how to install would be appreciated.

I used the seats and belts out of a 97 chev. cavliar, I also drilled a hole in the roll bar on the side and welded a nut there. I had to bend the belt bracket that bolts down the belt and shoulder harness to a L shape because it was straight and they work find. On the seats I had to build new brackets but that was easy to. Also mine is a 79 CJ7
      Last edited by slowone; 02-28-2005, 12:20 PM. Reason: year of jeep

Comment

Originally posted by slowone
        I used the seats and belts out of a 97 chev. cavliar, I also drilled a hole in the roll bar on the side and welded a nut there. I had to bend the belt bracket that bolts down the belt and shoulder harness to a L shape because it was straight and they work find. On the seats I had to build new brackets but that was easy to. Also mine is a 79 CJ7
        I used a hunk of angle iron. Bolted that to frame through body and then bolted the seatbelt to that.

Comment

The absolute best way to attach to the roll bar is to drill a hole thru both sides, then insert a piece of pipe, weld it in place and then bolt thru the pipe. This is close to factory, only the factory threaded the pipe.

Comment

I did my 78 like lost one and bolted an angle iron to the roll bar and bolted the belt to that!! Works like a charm !!

Comment

Originally posted by 79cj7duner
              The absolute best way to attach to the roll bar is to drill a hole thru both sides, then insert a piece of pipe, weld it in place and then bolt thru the pipe. This is close to factory, only the factory threaded the pipe.
              This is how we did my old 79 CJ5. It worked perfectly. I really cant report on the effectiveness, though, as it was only involved in two accidents afterward. The first one, our mechanic buddy got t-boned on the driver's side when he was test driving it to diagnose a problem. The second accident, the thieves who stole it weren't wearing the seatbelts when they drove over a large hill & hit a tree head on.

Comment

Thanks for all the posts. I'm determined to install shoulder belts now - sounds like its just a matter of choosing the best fab design/method.

Comment

Also figured I'd mention that the belts that I used were out of a 73 -87 Chevy pickup. I used the retractable should belt from a truck and the center latch pieces from a Blazer. I bolted the retractor mechanism to the bottom of the roll bar (w/ a CJ 5 it's a perfect position). I used the Blazer centers because they have a stiffer plastic outer sheath that helped keep them standing erect & easy to find.

Comment

I converted both my '76 CJ-7 and my parent's '76 CJ-7 to the shoulder harness type. I bought the kit from 4-wdh and was very impressed with it - complete w/ hardware and very nice. I ended up drilling a hole in the roll bar and welding a grade 8 nut on top of the hole. Works like a charm.

Comment

Working...
                    X