X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which tranny trans combo

I have a 78-5 with a 304 its not built up but the bottom end is all new and it has just been rebuilt. This this the fourth jeep I've owned and my first 5 ever, and all of them ended up one way or another with a V8 one was a tired 304 backed up with a t-5 and a 300 one was a 360 with a t-18 and I believe a 20 the other had the 304-150-20 combo. That brings me to this jeep the 78 cj5 with the rebuilt 304 which is by far the best running AMC V8 I've ever owned and it has the t150 and model 20. Here is my question I was given by a good friend who had to sell his jeep a rebuilt T-5 with a 300 twin stick. My front end is a 30 my rear is a 20 with the one piece upgrade and 3:50 gears both are widetracks out of a 85. Anyway with gas the price it is I was considering swapping in the 5 speed with the OD and the better 300. I do wheel it on the weekends a bit I'm new to the pitts area to don't have any place to go really. question is, is it worth getting rid of 3 speed and the 20 for a fresh but not as strong T-5 and the better twin stick 300. Will the 304 really beat up the 5 speed that bad compared to the 3 speed and if it will is there anything that can be done to the T-5 to make it stronger. Any and all suggestions are more than welcomed, by the way I'm running 33x12.50 thornbirds on 15x10 alum. rims. thanks in advance for any ideas that are offered.

little help

surely someone out there has got some idea of the best course of action

Comment

It is a crap shoot, I don't think you are going to see any return on your time for the swap. And for the power, I have seen people keep a 360 in front of a T-5, but they didn't get on it.
      I would stay with the original setup.

Comment

id swap it...

i loved the 5 speed in my 7 and didnt really care for the 3 speed in my 5...

plus they shift really smooth....

if you didnt upgrade the motor at all the 304 is about 5hp more than the 258

the t5 should last 100k miles

Comment

thanks for your thoughts I was just thinking along the lines of having all newer running gear, plus the overdrive would be nice to have since everywhere the jeep goes it gets there under its own power, and the few less rpms would be nice. Then there is the matter of the 300 which from bout every guy out there says is much better than the 20 add to that the twin stick set-up( which i've never used ) on the 300 ;something new to play with and i'm interested. Would it change other things ie.. drive angles, drive shafts and if I were to do it would the t-5 bolt to the 304 or do I need parts?

Comment

Working...
          X