X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender flare advice

I am looking at the 4WD catalog...I see the Bushwacker cut outs...it says trimming the fenders might be necessary. There were old threads about this but they were deleted due to the hacker. If you cut out part of the fender, doesn't it expose the body to the elements. Don't you then have to fabricate something for underneath the engine compartment. I guess I am looking for some 4-6 " extensions that are relatively painless to install. There are some WARN Trail flares on page 89....it says uses preexisting mounting holes(except CJ). Does anyone have experience with what that really means?Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Xenon fender flairs are what I use. Gives you 5" of fender extension.

Comment

What are your thoughts on the Xenon Flairs? Any pictures?

A couple of years ago, I worked at a place that sold Xenon. The product looked very nice (though I haven't seen the ones for Jeeps), but we really weren't sure if it would be durable for long-term use or for off-road. Any problems that you've noticed?

Comment

I had a set on my red jeep and they did so well that I decided to get a set for my current DD. And how they performed on the Red CJ that made a difference to me. The red one rolled down the highway, literly, rolled down the highway( well not actually the highway but the shoulder) I still have that set. That is how well they hold up.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../redrolled.jpg
        Notice the rear drivers side, that one has some minor scuffs on it, and it was removed during the accident.

Comment

They are in better shape then my stock ones and me no floppy.

Comment

Lost-One,
            That is truly sad to see. I hope that you (or anybody else) weren't hurt in that. Looks like it was a pretty nice CJ before the rollover.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to see if that's enough coverage for my next project or not. If so, that'll be my first choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike
              it says uses preexisting mounting holes(except CJ). Does anyone have experience with what that really means?Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
              this means you break out the sawzall to cut the fender so they fit in the bigger opening.

Comment

I bought the bushwackers for my 86...I was little pissed that the catalog doesn't mention how much trimming is involved nor was I thrilled with BW's technical service...or lack there of...

Now that I'm done with it I LOVE them and haven't looked back...I do think you have to be prepared to lose some weight in the fenders though...and mine were CHERRY...I had guys calling me crazy when I started cutting, but after the job was done they loved it too...

Here's the surviving link on JU.
                Where I got the idea to split the fender wells... http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...hreadid=508357

The Results...
                http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...hreadid=509714

Matt

Comment

Great job on the flares - thanks for posting the links, they really helped with trying to figure out what I'm going to do with mine.

Comment

Working...
                  X