Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gear change

Hey guys I'm gonna go out on a limb here and ask a dumb question
    I am looking to change my gears in my 89 yj cuz the PO put bigger tires without doing so, So do you gotta change the gears front and rear? or can I just change them one at a time Thanks

Cody

Technically you could just change the rear, but you would need to do something like disconnecting your front driveshaft to ensure that you don't engage 4wd. Running two different ratios front and rear (in 4wd) would do some serious damage. This is one of those jobs that requires speciality tools and skill. You need to get it right the first time so you don't destroy the new parts you just installed. Here's my 2 cents- don't regear until you have enough $ to do the front and rear axles at the same time. Start checking around to see who does it in your area and se what they charge.

Comment

should do the front and back together unless you do like said above by GDJeep

rember depends on what size gears you might have to change the carriors too

and are we all better now?

Comment

I did it this way, ran out of time hade to do it this way.
        I just disconnected the front driveshaft. You must do this task, no ifs ands or buts about it.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz401
          should do the front and back together unless you do like said above by GDJeep

rember depends on what size gears you might have to change the carriors too

and are we all better now?
          yeah thats probably what Ill do and thanks fuzz I am fellin better

Comment

thats good to hear

Comment

Originally posted by Penguin
              I did it this way, ran out of time hade to do it this way.
              I just disconnected the front driveshaft. You must do this task, no ifs ands or buts about it.
              I agree that you really should change front and rear at the same time and if not then disconnecting the front driveshaft is the best precaution... but in a bind... what if you don't engage your front hubs... wouldn't you avoid any damage? Even if you accidentally engaged 4WD or even if you did put it into 4Lo on purpose to get a crawling gear for the rear only... it would be a real mental breakdown to get out and engage your hubs if you knew your gearing was not matched. And if you broke your rear driveshaft then you could simply engage your front hubs and drive home in 4Hi and basically be driving a front-wheel drive Jeep. Point is, technically wouldn't this be ok too?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffm3434
                I agree that you really should change front and rear at the same time and if not then disconnecting the front driveshaft is the best precaution... but in a bind... what if you don't engage your front hubs... wouldn't you avoid any damage? Even if you accidentally engaged 4WD or even if you did put it into 4Lo on purpose to get a crawling gear for the rear only... it would be a real mental breakdown to get out and engage your hubs if you knew your gearing was not matched. And if you broke your rear driveshaft then you could simply engage your front hubs and drive home in 4Hi and basically be driving a front-wheel drive Jeep. Point is, technically wouldn't this be ok too?
                Well if you owned a CJ and had locking hubs, as long as you make sure they are not locked and you never do something stupid you would be fine.
                But he told us that he had a YJ and they are a bit different, no locking hubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Penguin
                  But he told us that he had a YJ and they are a bit different, no locking hubs.
                  Of course, that vacuum crap never works anyway, right??

Seriously though,

You could always purchase the parts piecemeal, say buy bot not install the rear R&P etc. then when you has some ore $$ buy the front R&P etc. Once you had all the parts, you could install them (or have them installed) at the same time.

Comment

I ran my old pickup with 3.55's front and 3.25's rear for a while once. Just never locked the hubs. I ditto to drop the front shaft tho...especially if anyone else drives your rig too.

I'm going the 'get the parts together first' route. I want to drop my 3.31's for 3.73's.

Comment

Working...
                    X