Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Carrier for 4.88 gears??????

Hey Guys,
    Just finished my S.O.A. and now I need to re-gear before I can get out and enjoy. My question is ,do I have to change carriers when I change gears? My jeep is an 1982 CJ with an AMC 20 in the rear and a Dana 30 up front.The tag is showing 3.54 on the front axle. I'm running 33's with an Iron Duke 4 banger.I have read on this but have gotten a couple of different answers . One stated if you have 3.08 gears or higher and the other said if you have 2.73 or higher , you don't have to change the carrier to go to 4.88 gears.
    Thanks in advance
    Mark Reed

Here's a picture of it.......

http://aycu23.webshots.com/image/205...0707063_rs.jpg

Comment

The amc20 is carrier change is different than the 44, on the 44 the carrier changes above 3.73 gears. You can do a detroit locker search and it will tell you the carrier split. Also if your not sure when you order the gears ask about
      the carrier.

Comment

The AMC 20 Carrier is good from 3.07 up. 2.73 gears are the only ones that require a different carrier. The 30 is a 3.54 and numerically down and 3.73 and numerically up split.

Google is your friend.

Comment

If the tag is accurate you'll have to get a new carrier for the front D30 (3.73 and lower, numerically higher) and the M20 can reuse the existing carrier.

Comment

Thanks Guys,
            That cleared it up for me.......Thanks for your help.......

Mark Reed

Comment

Working...
            X