X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.0 intake Manifold

i have a 1976 cj5 that i am putting a 4.0 mopar engine that is out of a 1992 cherokee sport, its fuel injected, and i want to put my HEI distributor in with a carburator for now untill i get the injection system rewired, my motorcraft intake and headers wont fit, what year and where would i get a intake that is carburated for the 4.0 engine???

Thanks in advance for the help!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...f/DSCN1295.jpg

Comment

The problem is the alignment pins for the intake, the 4.0 liter motor has the alignment pins located differently than the 258 does (the 4.0 was NEVER carburated).

An 83 or later stock 258 manifold will work. All you have to do is get the 4.0 gasket and tape it in place on the 258 manifold with the intake ports lined up. Once you have everything in place, use the alignment holes in the gasket to mark where to drill. Drill out the holes using a drill bit the same size as the 4.0 alignment pins and you are good to go.

NOTE: sometimes the 4.0 holes will be located on an edge. In this case use a dremmel tool with a grinding ball to make the indent.

Comment

Just because the 4.0 was never carbed, doesn't mean there isn't a manifold made to fit a carb on the 4.0 head. That was why I got the one above.

Comment

Wire up the FI,, not hard to do and you will never regret it.
          If you need links to how let me know. I am doing an ODBII system right now, and from what I hear the ODB system(the one you have) is a breeze to wire up.

Comment

4.0 manifold

thanks guys, i am going to put the fuel injection on but i have to have this running now, and i just so happened to have a 83 intake laying arround, already have it mounted, im gonna wait till this winter for the fuel injection, just waitin for the clutch now,,, again thanks a bunch i thought i was screwed after all this work i done,

Comment

4.0 Manifold

I just put a 4.0 head on 4.2 in my 76 cj7 and the intake i used was from a 1991-1995 I had an adapter plate made to bolt up to the intake and the carb. capped all the vac. lines and used a 5/8-11 tap and taped the injector holes and pluged them, and it runs fine just needs a little tweaking

Comment

Isn't the 4.0 the same thing as a 232?
                The 232 was the I6 that jeep used before the 258. And if they are the same wouldn't the intake from one of those work?

Comment

Originally posted by Penguin
                  Isn't the 4.0 the same thing as a 232?
                  The 232 was the I6 that jeep used before the 258. And if they are the same wouldn't the intake from one of those work?

The 4.0 is a 242 ci motor, and the head design is different. The 232 manifold is more or less interchangeable with the 258. The 232 was also an older engine back when the intake and exhaust bolted together (exhaust heat was used instead of coolant to heat the intake for better economy).

Gary B,

That sounds like an awful lot of work compared to drilling a few holes and using an 83 up manifold, but glad it works for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X