X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emissions Control System??

Alright im having some trouble here. Anyone know what the Spark CTO Switch is and what is does. I have one on my 258cu l6 and it looks like its been melted. Im not to sure about the damn thing, just wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on what to do about it or where i could get one or even what the heck its there for. THanks

Hey Bsmith...The CTO uses the engine coolant to detect when the motor is warm. When it is cold, manifold vac advances the distributor;the ignition is advanced also under load. The part is available from lots of places. I guess the quetion being.."do I need it"...good question, don't know. Somone else chime in if my explanation is off or funny.

http://home.off-road.com/~wagoneer/tech/cto.html

Try this link too
    Last edited by Big Mike; 06-27-2007, 07:33 AM.

Comment

In 79 it may of just been used to open the EGR valve when warm and possibly switch the vapor collector off and on. But it could of also been used as a spark contoller also. I don't think I have any pictures on this computer of the different systems that used a CTO.

How many ports on your CTO, or rather how many on the plug sometimes the top of those things break off.

Comment

Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
        X