X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teralow vs Regear

while running 35's, im putting a warn axles in the d30 and moser axle in the ol' 20 while im doing my soa.

..regear would be ideal at this time

next thought after reading the re-gear topic is that i dont have the balls to tackle that myself.

short on cash as it is..

i saw the teralow conversion for the m20. believe it or not thats something i can do, ive got bookoos of old jeep manuals from the 70's with info on torque specs and diagrams.

but which is more ideal..

which is stronger?

some road is seen with this jeep, so those with the gears, was the gas mileage increase substancial?

in the long road which is better? save the regear for the lockers? do it now while putting in new axles? if so, why? if the gears are suggested how high of a ratio?

i'd love to hear pro's/cons and opinions from everyone before hand, i doubt ill do both for now or down the road, unless its suggested =]

thanks for reading the long post, sorry.

-matt

Just my 2 cents
    The d30 front is a weak axle and usually 33inch tires with 4.56 gears
    is the Max for them ( and many of them can or will break with this set up also). If it were me i would look at trying to find a 44 front axle.

Im in a little over my head here but, if you can regear your transfer case
    Lower. That will move the Stress points from the axles to the whole drive train. By going lower in the transfer case you can run say 3.54/3.73 gears
    Then the stress is shared by the entire drive train instead of just the axles.

Comment

Originally posted by hozercj7
      Just my 2 cents
      The d30 front is a weak axle and usually 33inch tires with 4.56 gears
      is the Max for them ( and many of them can or will break with this set up also). If it were me i would look at trying to find a 44 front axle.

Im in a little over my head here but, if you can regear your transfer case
      Lower. That will move the Stress points from the axles to the whole drive train. By going lower in the transfer case you can run say 3.54/3.73 gears
      Then the stress is shared by the entire drive train instead of just the axles.
      yea im totally with you on the axles themselves being weak with the larger boots, but certainly just for clarification, do you mean the acutal axle housing, pumkin, and all? or the actual "axles" themselves for the d30?

warn makes beefy axles for the front left/right of the d30, i was gonna dive in and do them at the same time as the lift and driveshaft swaps (front & rear)

let me know which one you meant, and thanks for the 2 cents worth, much appreciated =]

Comment

a bump...

Matt, welcome to the board, man. I can't answer your question, but I recently saw the tera-low kit in the catalog for the 20 t-case and the same question occurred to me. If you like your road gears this looks like a pretty good way to go once you hit the trail. Thought I'd give the thread a bump and maybe one of the guys will chime in with some good dope.

I don't know about breaking the D30 up front that easily. I would think a lot of that might depend on your foot. I'm sure it's been done, but I don't remember reading about it happening in the CJ part of the board since I've been pokin' around in here. Run it till you can save up for a 44.

Comment

if your engine can pull you with stock gears on the highway,then regear the tcase. otherwise you're shooting yourself in the foot. don't forget to look at the lowmax gears by JB Conversions. much heavier duty.

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
            if your engine can pull you with stock gears on the highway,then regear the tcase. otherwise you're shooting yourself in the foot. don't forget to look at the lowmax gears by JB Conversions. much heavier duty.
            with 35's off road and 33's on road, i guess it would be more ideal to just save the $800 price tag for the m20 regear and use the money for the gears/lockers at one time for the d30/amc20

the jeep will see more "trails" than "rocks".. and maybe a trip to tellico once and a while. with warn axles and lockers up front running the new 297x joints and not the old 260x u joints in it now.. i HIGHLY doubt ill bust it open or a ujoint

if i do. cool! =]

a perfect excuse to go d44

and also, thanks for the warm welcome, glad to find a home! i promise i wont make too much of a mess

Comment

If I had to do it all over, I'd got with the tera low first. My old set up was a 360, T-18, 354's and 35's, my rig pulled 18 mpg and ran down the road nice. I switched to 410's and it went to 13 mpg and was running a lot harder at 65-70mph. Going to the tera kit first I would have kept my milage and had better offroad performance.

Old crawl ratio: 45:1 with stock t case gears and the 354's. With 410's I got 53 to 1 with stock t case gears, but I lost my tail on the highway. By going with the tera kit and 354's it would be 70 to 1 That's with a dana 20 and the lowest I can go would be 3:15 to 1, But I would have a lot better crawl ratio and higway performance.
              Last edited by highlandercj-7; 07-03-2007, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Keeping your current road manners and bettering your off-road capabilities means T-case gears.

Comment

sounds more reasonable to me anyway, its just something i havent heard alot of, and sinking that much $ into it, opinions matter =]

big time ;p

the gears in the axles now are, i presume, the stock ratios that came with the jeep 26 years ago. saying that your crawl ratio increased that much is an eye opener for the best performance net gain.

and plus, i havent done it yet, and it being that you would have rathered do the teralow kit first, then that right there solves my question very easily, along with some common sense of course

Comment

little huntin' and peckin'...

This guy seems pretty knowledgeable on this topic:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...-20/index.html

As for FUBAR's recommendation on the LoMax gears I did some reading on that, too. He's right about the LoMax being of superior construction, but I couldn't find where they make a kit for the model 20 case. Not saying that don't. Just saying I couldn't find it.

Comment

yea i got busy myself and did some research on the topic, all i could find was lomax for the NP205's (dana 300) and tera low for the model 20 dana 20 (m20 d20 whatever)

i do appreciate the link, i found it through google a long time ago and only got the IP of the site, didnt actually have the url itself

i believe it would be a wiser decision and go with what highlander suggests, and maybe save the re-gear for the lockers, when $ isnt so much of an issue

further comments or opinions are welcome, the more the marrier =]

Comment

I ran a tired 304 with 36's and 4.10's with a Tera-low kit for a couple of years without any problems. I replaced the stock D30 axles with Superior axles shafts. I broke the drivers side when I still had a Loc-rite up front. Since I installed the Detroits, and a mildly built 360, I'm just more carefull. I installed a Ford T-18 after I built the motor, and I have plenty of power on the highway. I can easily run at 70 mph, and with the 6:32 1st gear in the T-18 it gives me a final crawl ratio of about a 82 to 1.

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something here, so sorry to waist your time if so.

If I understand correctly the Tera Low conversion only changes the Low range gears. The high gears are still straight through like factory right???

So on road performance will NOT be affected by the Tera Low kit... right???

Again, if this is the case, axle re-gear is the only fix for bigger tires.

My 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by tower
                            Maybe I'm missing something here, so sorry to waist your time if so.

If I understand correctly the Tera Low conversion only changes the Low range gears. The high gears are still straight through like factory right???

So on road performance will NOT be affected by the Tera Low kit... right???

Again, if this is the case, axle re-gear is the only fix for bigger tires.

My 2 cents

I understand you to be correct on what gets regeared....however, FUBAR put it the best.

"if your engine can pull you with stock gears on the highway,then regear the tcase. otherwise you're shooting yourself in the foot. don't forget to look at the lowmax gears by JB Conversions. much heavier duty.

Comment

i looked again to be certain, and by word of mouth i would rather commit to the lomax gears, being as these kits arent your average gallon of milk at the grocery mart

but still i couldnt (i couldnt) find any lowmax gears for the dana 20. do you have a link gnarly?

Comment

Working...
                              X