X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Injection

I am in the market for a new carb and was talking with my mechanic, who mentioned it might be wiser to consider fuel injection. I know he would make more money but what do you all think? I am emisions exempt and am curious to see what you all thought this is going to cost. Anybody who had done FI please let me know what it all entails and what you think would be a fair price tag. I realize a weber carb would be less than half the cost of FI but is the extra dough worth it really? Finally how hard would it be to install myself with the help of my very mechincally inclined neighbor?

There were quite a few discussions on here regarding this topic before the hack. Several were more than happy with the Howell set-up at around 1100 bucks, the Mopar guys were very happy too- and for twice that, they should be. I am also interested in this- I'm in the FI vs engine swap debate. Gotta have a bit more power. And it has to be cheap, according to the wife.

Comment

unless you're going completely vertical and want to shut off your engine and restart it while you're vertical, there's no need for FI. you can get a holley truck avenger and never look back. it's second to none in carbs and is second only to MPI on hills. which brings up another point. if you're going to dump a couple thousand in FI, go MPI not TBI.

Comment

The Mopar MPI is all it's said to be, it is expensive but I figured the parts would be available when or if needed at the Jeep dealer that is worth the extra to me. My CJ7 only had 62k miles when I installed the kit, it is also very clean. I intend to keep it indefinately.So I considered it an investment. If you are smog exempt I would think a Weber would be the smart decision in your case. DP

Comment

Hills, and major altitude differences in the places you wheel are the only things that would make fuel injection really worth it - especially since you're smog exempt. I was sold on FI, but began to reconsider after seeing the price and thinking a little more about a 4bbl. It's not too bad to swap carbs out every 2 years for a smog test, right?

Comment

A friend of mine does the swap every 2 years for smog, it can be done but what a pain. DP

Comment

Working...
            X