X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ5 Steering Column Swap

I read somewhere, forgot where, that there was some GM steering columns that could be swapped into the CJ. Does anyone know which year/make/model columns will fit? Has anyone bought one of the rebuilt units from the guy in PA that sells on eBay or had one rebuilt by the guy on eBay from MI? I replaced the lower bearing, switch and cylinder but the rack mechanism is fubar'ed. Does anyone know where these parts can be found, other than the dealer? I priced the parts to do a complete overhaul and they were almost $200!

1977 CJ5, P/S. P/B, 4.2L, T18, 2 1/2" Lift, 31X11.50 SuperSwamper TSL's, Lock Rights Front and Rear, One Piece Rear Axles

I used a column and half of the steering shaft out of a mid to late 80's S-10 Blazer. I got it for $60 from the local junkyard, all i had to do was cut off the bracket on the column that bolts it to the firewall and modify the steering shaft so that it has the GM coupler at the column and the Jeep coupler at the steering box. It was a very install.

Andy

Comment

Thanks, man!

Comment

No problem, I meant to say it was a easy install.

Comment

I've done the same. Mine was from a with the wipers and haz on the column. I'm not sure if this is applicable to all S10/S15 swaps but I had to use the CJ column bracket on the new column to mount to the brake assembly. I also needed the steering shaft from the S15 because the connection point on the steering column wasn't the same on the CJ shaft. I still haven't connected the wiring from the wipers yet. Still researching that issue.
          Sorry to piggy back, anyone have comments on wiring the wipers?

Comment

I never knew that some toyota parts can be interchangeable to a GM made truck, I've been very curious on how the Steering Column Tube would work to an American made vehicle.

Comment

Mine is a tilt steering column from an 85 GMC Jimmy. Same column for my 74CJ minus the tilt apparently.

Comment

Working...
              X