X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve cover

mine leaked, bought a new gasket, took of the old, realized it had 300,000,000,000 cracks in it. started calling part stores for a new one. nobody has one. those guys in the part stores get on my nerves, they treat me like a complete idiot just because im a young guy. anyways. since i have to wait on shipping anyways now, what covers have u guys bought that u didn thave to tap and drill holes that seemed to work. there are millions out there. sory about the this tured mainly into complaining.

cyberjeep.com is a pretty good site. Since we are dealing with aftermarket parts in 90% or more of what we can get, it is not uncommon for slight adjustments however I have ordered over $3000 in parts from these guys and only had two parts that didnt fit perfectly. Given them a try.

TD

Comment

most parts stores dont carry a good line of Tins. for that kind of stuff mail order or internet is your best bet.

Comment

it depends on which 258 you have. the later models are only available in alum. i looked everywhere for a steel one about a year or so ago and couldn't find it. drilling is no big deal. just put a couple magnets next to the drill bit and every metal sliver will stick to it. no problems at all. also, mark your drill bit with tape before drilling so you don't go too far and into the water jacket.

Comment

Take duct tape and tape a wall around where you are drilling any flying chips will hit it and stick. Plus with the magnet like FUBAR said it is not that hard. I suck at hand drilling and I even did well. The Alum one 4wd has is really nice, stout and keeps the leaks away.

Comment

Look here:
            http://www.tellico4x4.com/catalog/in...6f25f6ade2381d

Comment

Is this like an afternoon project? It's baseball season, so long periods of time are not available to work on rusty. Sounds pretty easy, as far as the drilling goes.

Comment

U don't have to drill.

I didn't, all U need is a bottom tap to tap out the hole. Push hard & make sure it's lined up & tap it slow, back & forth untill U get the whole hole taped.

A bottom tap has NO point on the end, it's flat.

I had to take a nut & screw on the tap & cut the end off (tapered end of the tap) because it was to long b-4 it started to tap, that's why I didn't have to drill & it's holding just fine after 6mo.

RollBar

Comment

Where can you find an aluminum for a '76, 258. Is that what your talking about drilling holes for?

Comment

Originally posted by jbsgroup
                    OR @ www.4wd.com

Comment

Originally posted by 84MSRB
                      Is this like an afternoon project? It's baseball season, so long periods of time are not available to work on rusty. Sounds pretty easy, as far as the drilling goes.
                      it's a half an afternoon project. just drain the oil, take off the cover, drill what you need to, put on a new gasket and cover, fill up the oil.

Comment

the one on the link, would i need to buy the nonstuded brackets? this is a stupid thing for me to have to be so confused about, and im shure when i finaly get that stupid valv cover im going to feel like a idiot.

Comment

n\m, i figured it out, brain fart or blonde moment, not shure, but its under control

Comment

Thanks- for letting me jump in on thi thread and all the useful info. Now, if I can get the extra funds and a good Saturday rain-out, the valve cover will be replaced.

Comment

i just wish i would have orderd it before i took the old one off, now im without my d.d. luckily i can drive my dads truck.

Comment

Working...
                              X