X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric fuel pump

ok to all you smart people i have a question....i bought and electric fuel pump thinking this would allow me to mount it up high in the engine compartment...well i got here wired and turned on and nothing at all, notta...i thought that there would be no problems cause i know a racer friends that has a similar fuel pump on his face car and his is mounted pretty high as well...is this just because it is too high and does not have enough power to suck it up there...i was thinking about putting a cheaper helper pump down low near the fuel tank to push the fuel up to the holley pump...will this work?

I thought most electric fuel pumps were better at pushing fuel than pulling fuel? I don't know if that with the fact that it is having to pull it up against gravity is your problem. I am no expert, I just thought I would make that suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by athenscj5
      I thought most electric fuel pumps were better at pushing fuel than pulling fuel? I don't know if that with the fact that it is having to pull it up against gravity is your problem. I am no expert, I just thought I would make that suggestion.
      My thought as-well...never seen an electric pump pull fuel for more than a couple of inches after it exits the fuel tank. Might be asking too much of it...

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by athenscj5
        I thought most electric fuel pumps were better at pushing fuel than pulling fuel.
        Correct, I have looked into this also as I am building my CJ8 & I am going to run a electric pump & it goes close to the tank. A helper pump won't work.

RollBar

Comment

is it the holley red, or blue? those are pretty stout pumps.

Comment

ok so do mechanical fuel pumps pull fuel or do they push it...and still do yall think i could just use a helper pump?

Comment

Originally posted by TheJeepMan4804
              ok so do mechanical fuel pumps pull fuel or do they push it...and still do yall think i could just use a helper pump?
              The original pumps pull the fuel.

Comment

Some electric pumps are designed to pull and some to push. I had run a pull type pump on my inner fender for several years feeding a 750 Holley and never had any problems ..... until it got really hot around here one summer (like 100+) then began having vapor locking problems ... so I removed this pump and went to a push pump that I mounted on the crossmemeber at the front of fuel tank in an attempt to get as much air to it as possible .... and no problems since!
                Last edited by Bret; 03-04-2005, 09:17 AM.

Comment

maybe i'm wrong here, but even if it were meant to push fuel, if the fuel line and pump were primed first, pushing it out would force a vacumn which would draw more into the line to be pushed. am i right or did i smoke too much latin lettuce last night.

Comment

as stated above, electric pump are designed to push, NOT draw fuel. it is reffered to as "head pressure". mount electric pumps as close to the fuel supply as possible.

ragg

Comment

its a red top...and i bought a small 3-7 psi helper pump to mount literally on the fuel line 8 inches after it exits the top of the tank to prime the holly...as in they will both run at the same time when switched on...and i was thinking same as craig that once i get fuel to the holley it should act as a vacum when it pressurizes...and this is also stated in the directions...the helper pump was only 40 bucks as the holley was about 100...much rather mount the helper low and let it get ruined if i get it sunk in mud than the holley...that is why i mounted to holley high...i was also told that i should pu a check valve at the exit of the helper pump that way since the holley is higher than the fuel tank when i kill it the lines dont slowly drain back into the tank, the guy said this is how racers are able to mount their fuel pumps so high in the engine compartment...anyways i will let yall know how it works...if it dont the i will just take em back on go with a big honking holley mechanical pump...

Comment

How much does height really matter in placement? The instuctions say 'below fuel level'. Could never go below for clearance issues, but is above the tank ok?

Comment

my holley literally has 1/2 " clearance from the top of the pump to the hood , i have fenderexits so on the inner fender wells wont work and underneith i would just burry it in mud and water...

Comment

Working...
                          X