X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.3 Liter swap

I have finally decided to ditch the 258 for something with a little more power and better economy. A local shop had a core 4.3 liter chevy V6 lying on the back lot and when I asked about it they said haul it away and it is yours, so I have it lying in pieces on my carport doing a complete rebuild (two spun bearings due to excessive oil chainge intervals).

The plan is to install the motor with a Gm TBI system built from Yard parts. The 4.3 has plenty of power with the TBI, in fact it has the same rating as a stock 4bbl 350 (160 HP, 230 ft-lb torque, little more than that with a few basic upgrades) Plus the 4.3 gets better mileage, my wife routinely gets 20 mpg in her 4 door blazer in the warmer months (I'm thining the weight difference between the blazer and the Cj will just about make up for the lack of an overdrive)

Anyway I now have a bell housing from a 151 4 cyl on the way from ebay to mount the V6 to my T4 (untill I can save up enough for a better trany), but I was wondering which flywheel to use, will the standard 4.3 flywheel from like an s-10 blazer work with the 4 cyl bell or do I need to source it from somewhere else?

Any help would be great.

Sorry 'bout the long post

I had a problem finding a 153 toot flywheel for a 4.3, so i took the 168 tooth flywheel and had it milled down to fit the 153 tooth ring gear. Only thing is i had my old flywheel off the Iron Duke and i had them match up the holes on the flywheel so everything went smooth.

Comment

Hmm, this is interesting, so the standard 168 tooth won't fit in the housing?

With the smaller flywheel, what starter did you use?

Did you have to use the smaller 4-cyl clutch or a standard chevy clutch?

Comment

It's been a while since I did my Chevy conversion. I used the same bellhousing you are using and the small flywheel. I think I used a starter from a GM inline 6 cylinder 250 CI. David

Comment

.....the starter was from an older Nova with a powerglide transmission. I think they have a smaller bellhousing also and can't use the larger flywheel due to clearance problems. I was able to use all of my original clutch hardware. The pressure plate I took out of the Jeep bolted to the GM flywheel. It was an easy conversion and I'm very happy with it. David

Comment

i dont remember what i did since that jeep was long gone, but i made a hybrid starter from the original 4.3 and the original jeep one. I hear you can also use a mini high torque starter off a 350 and thatll work, but ive never tried it, i was going for cheap. It was a great swap and the power was great.

Comment

Well, I did a little research at work, and I think I tracked down a suitable starter for the swap, a 1980 GMC caballero with the 229 V-6. The 229 is a 90 degree V-6 like the 4.3, and it used a 153 tooth flywheel, so it should be a no brainer to make that work, now it looks like I have to find a flywheel.

I would like to use either my stock 10.4 inch clutch off the 258, or a 10 inch chevy clutch. Anyone hear of a donor for the smaller flywheel? I would really like to avoid milling down a flywheel if I can avoid it. Mably a camaro with the 305/5.0?

Comment

Also 4.3

I put a 4.3 TBI in my CJ-7. I have a 700R4 tranny so there were no flywheel issues. Motor runs great but seems to lack power. Presently running 31 inch tires and 3.92 gears.

Comment

The 700 R4 is a good trany, but I like a stick in a Jeep.

My blazers only seem to be lacking power when towing my camp trailer (2000 lb), and only then on an 8% or better grade, other than that, they seem to have plenty of power. (they are no speed demons or road racers, but they get you where you are going, no problem)

I have foubd that my 4.3s really don't like Bosch Platinum 2 spark plugs. I won a free set in a sales contest at work, so I put them in. I lost 4 MPG and I couldn't run faster than 45 with my camp trailer. I put AC-Delco copper plugs back in and my mileage came back and I ran 75 all the way with the camp trailer on back. No other changes. Lesson learned.

Back to the swap.

the flywheel required is out of a 1990 camaro RS with the 5.0 motor. 153 tooth, and uses a 10.5 inch clutch. Now I just need to track one down

Comment

Working...
                  X