X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by UPJ Wheeler
    You just gotta be able to do some precise measuring and drilling! There's not much room for error, lol.

yea i dont want my homemade bracket to fail and i go kill a busload of kids...i don't want anybody's to...if every tom, dick, and harry starts making these things theres bound to be a failure from somewhere, be it a materials failure or whatever...besides, nobodys gonna get rich from making these brackets but they would be helping people improve their braking ability and pehaps even save a life or two...theres already another guy on there selling plans and wooden templates of this bracket anyway...thats a recipe for disaster plain and simple...its cool to be able to fab stuff but not everybody can or should do it...i myself have only my jeep to drive...i don't have the time to take a chance with a part like that...i want my brakes to be safe, work correctly and wear evenly the first time...that is well worth a measly fifty bucks to me, let alone possibly trashing the jeep i've owned (and constantly fixed) since i was in high school...my whole life since then has hinged off my jeep...my job as a mechanic and the relationship i had with my father before he died would not exist if it wasn't for that jeep...so don't even condescend to think that you can insult me like im some heartless chump with a jeep pal...im trying to help people out that have no business trying to make this thing on their own...all you seem to want is your name on the box
    Last edited by the Captain; 10-20-2007, 01:42 AM.

Comment

WOAHHHHHHH!!! Hang on there Captin, lets refer back to what I said in the first place....

Originally posted by UPJ Wheeler
      I hope he doesnt try and start mass producing the disk brackets on an ebay level! If he wants to do business and make a few for specific customers, fine.

Let me decipher further for you what I was talking about. I agree completely with you that some people dont have the ability, tools, or would rather leave the fab job to a professional to make sure its done right. Notice in my statement where I said "he".... that "he" is referring to the ebay guy you mentioned, and was not a wack at you. I just dont want this ebay guy to be making them by the bundle....

Also, where I said there is no room for error in the measuring.... thats because if you screw it up, the holes wont be positioned properly, and the bracket either wont fit on the axle or wont fit the caliper, and you'll have to start over with new material. That thing is only gona fit if you build it right.

I can also appriciate the impact Jeeping has had with you. Sounds exactly like me! Me and my dad spend a ton of time together doing this stuff, learned way too much about cars, and Ive met a lot of great people too.

So let me say one more time......... if you or a few people want to have brackets professionally made, by all means go for it. I just hope that the machinist doesnt mass produce them.

Comment

So I got the YJ booster and master in... I was gona have to extend the stock lines from the stock proportioning valve anyhow, so I decided since I was gona have to bend a few lines anyhow I might as well install the ZJ 4 wheel disk valve too.... If what Van says is correct, then it doesnt matter if I swapped it or not, so I figured... what the hell.

There was only 1/8" difference in CJ and YJ push rods so I originally didnt mess with the rod length.... had a real spongy pedal after lots of bleeding. So I went in and made the rod adjustable, and now has great pedal feel and stops on a dime!!!! I still just barely cant lock the wheels (you can tell they are on the verge though), but its 200% better than it was!

Comment

Nice!!!! I got mine installed this past weekend as well but I haven't yet got to try them out since I'm doing a frame-off rebuild.

As you stated in this post, they are simple to make if you take your time and pay attention to detail. What I did was open the file in Autocad and get my plotter to print it out to scale. I then just traced a template out one at a time and the did the mesurements for each hole.

I did end up spending more on my calipers then you did; damn them!

New Rotors: $50 after taxes
          Calipers: $60 (&^#%#*($)
          New Brakes: $40 bucks
          Steel: Freebie from one of our jobsites and free oxygen and acty. for the cut.

Here is a couple of pictures.

http://www.vjsclan.com/forums/upload...1193169319.jpg

http://www.vjsclan.com/forums/upload...1193169327.jpg

http://www.vjsclan.com/forums/upload...1193169334.jpg
          Last edited by BrianABE; 10-23-2007, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Sweet! Good job

Comment

Lookslike I have more stuff to do this winter!!

Kickin' upgrade, thanks for posting!! HB

Comment

Does anyone know what years (ex. 1983-1987) of Nissan 300zx calipers will work for the conversion?

Comment

nice work again, and I sure could use the drawings to my email, thanks for the hard work in putting this together and sharing it.

Comment

Originally posted by scobar View Post
                    nice work again, and I sure could use the drawings to my email, thanks for the hard work in putting this together and sharing it.
                    Do you have AutoCAD? If you do, I can email my drawing I made from the dimensions given by UPJ.
                    Last edited by dj_jeepin; 01-15-2008, 12:07 PM.

Comment

no autocad, but I may be able to dig up atocad lite (I think that's what it is) to open, thanks

Comment

Scobar, send me a pm with your email address. I can't attach the drawing file using the setup that 4WD hardware has setup. When you get the drawing and open it, plot it at 1:1 scale and you can use it as a template so the holes are in the correct location.

Comment

Here is the Autocad file in PDF form.

http://www.abeenterprises.com/files/...ke-Bracket.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by dj_jeepin View Post
                            Does anyone know what years (ex. 1983-1987) of Nissan 300zx calipers will work for the conversion?
                            I saw in an OE Nissan Parts catalog a while back that they are all the same, just the rotor thickness is slightly different.

Comment

Man, that's cooler than cheet. I wanna do it.

Comment

Originally posted by UPJ Wheeler View Post
                                I saw in an OE Nissan Parts catalog a while back that they are all the same, just the rotor thickness is slightly different.
                                Okay, thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                                X