Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope... untouched '96 2 door geo tracker front rotors. slid right on.

Comment

Originally posted by 1tuffcj
      ... get rid of ian and it would be upj and jessie.
      I can go for that!!!

I'd like a copy of the drawing too please.
      pm'd ya my email.

Comment

Just talked to Van from Vanco Brakes on the phone, and he said that the best thing to do is to NOT replace the stock proportioning valve, that they are all identical and it doesnt matter between disk/drum and disk/disk, and that all of the crap that everyone says about them on the internet is CRAP. He also said that the best improvement as far as a MC is concerned is to do a YJ power brake set up. Ive got one laying around at home, so Ill do that this coming weekend.

Pretty cool guy. He answered all of my questions, and didnt even try to sell me anything.

Comment

did you have power brakes to start with?

Comment

Nope! stock manual CJ. so the booster upgrade should be night and day

Comment

I was able to talk to the guy at our local junk yard into leaving the MS and brake booster on the YJ tub I bought; so that for me was a huge bonus in not having to change anything but man, that is one hella nice fab job you've done. I'd buy ya a beer anytime for that.

Could you please include me in your mass emailing on the specs? Damn nice fab brotha!

brian@abeenterprises.com

Edit:

You said to save some scraps to place behind the bearing; does it matter the size or do you want to just make it square like the axle tube end? The third picture shows the axle tube end being square; picture 8 shows the size view mounted but it's hard to tell the shape of the backing plate you cut.
              Last edited by BrianABE; 10-15-2007, 08:42 PM.

Comment

You dont have to put a piece in, you just have to not take the entire backing plate off.

Here is a picture of what Im talking about. the peice that Im pointing to is the "center" of the backing plate that was left when I was done cutting. If you look at the above pic of the cut up backing plate, you'll see what I mean. It needs to be left there to keep the proper spacing/preload on the bearing. When you cut the backing plate, you need to leave the axle in the housing so you dont get grinding dust in the bearing. If you do, it will be a pain in the *** to completely clean out the bearing and repack it with fresh grease.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...7-Billy162.jpg
                Last edited by UPJ Wheeler; 10-15-2007, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Nice job.
                  Can you send me the drawings for the brackets, I will pm you my email.

Comment

Here is the file. I posted it online so anyone can download it.

Clicky here for the file

Comment

Changed that terrible yellow in Autocad to black so it is now a little easier on the eyes...

CJ Disk Brake Conversation

BTW Brian, is the small piece for your brake lines? i.e. a holder?
                      Last edited by BrianABE; 10-16-2007, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Yep, its a brake line holder, I just didnt feel like fart'n with that right now.

Thanks for altering the colors

Comment

i've been talking to a guy from e-bay who said he could make the brackets for 50 bucks on his CNC plasma cutter, 30$ if you drill the holes...heres a link to the boomerang shackles he's made:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180169282334
                          Last edited by the Captain; 10-20-2007, 01:36 AM.

Comment

I hope he doesnt try and start mass producing the disk brackets on an ebay level! If he wants to do business and make a few for specific customers, fine. But this was meant to help people out with affordable upgrades to their junk, NOT for someone to get a hold of the drawing and make money. Thats why I gave it to people and didnt try to sell it. This is one of this "Jeep Things" that people keep talking about. Its really not that difficult to properly measure and drill 5 holes, then find a buddy with decent torches or a plasma!!!

Comment

Originally posted by UPJ Wheeler
                              I hope he doesnt try and start mass producing the disk brackets on an ebay level! If he wants to do business and make a few for specific customers, fine. But this was meant to help people out with affordable upgrades to their junk, NOT for someone to get a hold of the drawing and make money. Thats why I gave it to people and didnt try to sell it. This is one of this "Jeep Things" that people keep talking about. Its really not that difficult to properly measure and drill 5 holes, then find a buddy with decent torches or a plasma!!!

I agree with you total on this one. Anyone with a torque and make these with a little common sence and it doesn't take that long. Plus there is the whole 'price' thing knowing you made them yourself; truck shade tree mechanic style.

You give me the word and I'll take the CAD off my server so no one else can get it.

Comment

No, I want people to be able to access and use it, I just dont want some one profiting from it.

Comment

Working...
                                X