X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lifter noise

I just traded my 85 cj7 for a 74 cj5. My CJ5's AMC 304 sounds like a thrasher, the lifters are making a lot of noise. other than that it runs fine. It does pop at times when I let off the gas. Has anyone had this problem? If it is a cam wouldent it pop as the rpm goes up?
    Last edited by caring01; 03-12-2005, 01:57 PM. Reason: forgot to include motor size

AMC V-8's have an extremely strong bottom end but their valvetrain leaves a lot to be desired. They are notorious for chewing up cams, lifters and valves. Since they do not have the adjustable chevy-type rockers, it's difficult to take up excessive lash when wear does occur. My guess is you need a new cam & lifters minimum. Since you already have it apart, I would go ahead and do a valve job too. Burned valves in AMC motors is very common. But you are right - if it was a burned valve, it would probably backfire on acceleration. Good luck.

Comment

I would first do several oil changes. Maybe even run some engine cleaner through it. Could be that it just got dirty or has been sitting. If that doesn't clear it then you will need to do some cam and lifter work. AMC's are common in having lifters that freeze up or lock up from dirt or bad oil.

Comment

Took the bridges out and took a file to them, used a mic. No more noise.

Comment

Working...
        X