X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• max tire size no lift

I put 33x10.5 bfg's on my 74 cj5. I am going to try to run the 33's with out a lift. Has antone tried this or is this just wishful thinking?

I wouldn't do it.

Comment

depends on if you disconnect and how much you wanna cut your fenders...i ran 35" on my cj with no lift for a while now it has a 2 " body, but i never unhooked cause i knew i would smash up the fenders and i also got crazy with the sawzall and grinder...33" should fit nicely with some good sawzall and grinder time

Comment

Maybe this will help.
        http://www.ntwonline.com/template.cfm?ID=11

Comment

33's fit with a healthy dose of cutting. With the front swaybar connected ya won't need to hack the front fenders with very mild wheeling. But if ya want any flex you'll have to hack them too, basically flat fender it.

Pic of mine with 33's and stock (well technically it has 3/8" longer shackles):
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ur/flexrr2.jpg

The front fenders have since been hacked to flat also... cuz i tore one all up offroad, now it never rubs. (it does rub the springs at full left/right turn, but that'd happen with a lift kit too). If youre in MD and want 4" lift springs cheap, let me know (drives much nicer stock height).

(i can take an updated pic with front fenders hacked if ya really need it)

Comment

i wanna watch when the tires meet the fenders

Comment

I have 36's on my 86 cj8 with a 2 inch body and 3/4 inch shackle and have had no problems except at full turn and that is on my headers but i have no ideal if the clearances are the same on a cj5!

Comment

I think its fine as long as you just run down the street to Sonic to pick up a cherry limeade. Good luck with any offroading. I run 33's with a 2 -1/2" lift and a 1" shackle lift and still rub occasionally four-wheeling.

Comment

small correction please forgive me the person i bought the cj8 from just emailed me back he typed 3/4 shackle when he meant to type 3-4shackle as in 3 to 4 " shackle so i am by no comparison anywhere near stock at 5 to 6 inch of lift

Comment

There is a mag that will answer your question on news stands this month. It has a great chart that show vehicle, tire size, and what, if any modifications are required to run those tires. I forget the exact name of the mag, but it is something like 4 Wheeling or Off Road. In the same issue, they have 60 or so rigs that are involved in an invite only event, lots of jeeps in it.

Comment

I have 33's on my 81 CJ-5 with no lift. Haven't had them rub yet but I've only taken through mud so haven't flexed it much.

Comment

how much

Originally posted by 86cj_wally
                        33's fit with a healthy dose of cutting. With the front swaybar connected ya won't need to hack the front fenders with very mild wheeling. But if ya want any flex you'll have to hack them too, basically flat fender it.

Pic of mine with 33's and stock (well technically it has 3/8" longer shackles):
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ur/flexrr2.jpg

The front fenders have since been hacked to flat also... cuz i tore one all up offroad, now it never rubs. (it does rub the springs at full left/right turn, but that'd happen with a lift kit too). If youre in MD and want 4" lift springs cheap, let me know (drives much nicer stock height).

(i can take an updated pic with front fenders hacked if ya really need it)
                        How much did you cut off the back ti fit the 33's?

Comment

For the rear flares: i cut forward the 1/2" or so i could, put a mark on top where the top of fenderwell was, and used the flare to make a rough arc for cutting. I took about 2" (more or less) out of the rear portion, about 1-2" on top. Then i slapped the stock flare back on (it widens out with ease), marked and drilled holes, spray painted the bare metal, and stuck them on.

For the front: i basically made a mark on the top of the stock flare, and that was my initial cut line (more or less). Then the front didn't match up (the flare to the new cut) so i hacked the front bend off the flare, and cut the fender to match it.

Easy day project, i give it 2 beers out of 10.

Comment

Originally posted by 86cj_wally
                            For the rear flares: i cut forward the 1/2" or so i could, put a mark on top where the top of fenderwell was, and used the flare to make a rough arc for cutting. I took about 2" (more or less) out of the rear portion, about 1-2" on top. Then i slapped the stock flare back on (it widens out with ease), marked and drilled holes, spray painted the bare metal, and stuck them on.

For the front: i basically made a mark on the top of the stock flare, and that was my initial cut line (more or less). Then the front didn't match up (the flare to the new cut) so i hacked the front bend off the flare, and cut the fender to match it.

Easy day project, i give it 2 beers out of 10.
                            Do you have any fender rub at all on the trail? Are your 33's 12.5" or 10.5"?

Comment

Originally posted by caring01
                              Do you have any fender rub at all on the trail? Are your 33's 12.5" or 10.5"?
                              Well, not that i get on the trail real often... but nope, no rubbing... and if i did i'd use the sawzall more.

Some more recent pics of my Heep:
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...es33005011.jpg
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...es33005010.jpg

The front right fender damage is from a deer that took a gamble and lost, not from rubbing.

I estimate that the front tires CoUlD rub quite a bit still with the ford shock towers on there... but i haven't got it to flex that far yet, and i still have another 2" or so i could trim off the front if i feel like it.

I like this setup much better than when i had a 4" lift, i'll never put a lift kit more than 1.5" on it again... just not worth it. I figure i could make 36" tires fit with that amount of lift without making it look like a buggy or something.

But keep in mind it doesn't flex quite as much as it did with 4" lift kit... but darn near as much, and rides totally better. If i had lowered the bump stops 4" like you're suppose to... then the lift kit would have flexed less (and is the reason i took the 4" bump stops back off quite quickly).

Oh, they're 33x10.5x15. My next set of tires will probably be 34x9.5x15 TSL's (i like skinny tires). I think 12.50's would be more likely to rub... but i bet that could be fixed easily enough.

Oh and i do get the tires to rub on the springs at full lock to either side... but that happened with 4" kit too (when i could get it to turn to it's lock... stupid drop pitman arms). I'd like to get rims with another inch or so of backspacing some time, but not real pressed about that, i can live with a little rubbing (i'm too lazy to just turn the stops out a little bit).
                              Last edited by 86cj_wally; 04-08-2005, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X