X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noise in rear end

ok, ive had a busy couple of days, ive gotten my jeep back running, new weber carb, starter, sylanoid, valve cover, and amo box console, and a few other electrical problem that took hours to figure out. went for a drive to teh gas station. and, there is this aful noise in teh rear end. we replaced the u-joints because they needed it, and mabe that was the noise. well. it wasnt. ive got the d20 axel. the noise is a rare LOUD squeek, and sometimes a deep grinding sound. but it doesnt do it all the time. and there is an ocational POP noise. so, im confused. cause it drives perfect for a while, then for a few feet its horible. whats going on? (if it helps- no lift, stock drive shafts, axels, etc. although, i dont know whats in the rear axel. the po put difrent bolts on the dif. cover. so mabe he rebuilt it wrong or something.) HELP

I had something like that in my old F150. Iwas missing a few teeth in my rear end. Every now and then the missing teeth would get caught in the gears. That's were the grind and metal sound came from. Hope it help.

Comment

Is it on acceleration? Deceleration? Just motoring along? At idle? .....

Comment

you need to pull that diff cover off before you get stranded. inspect it for metal chunks and shavings. also check the gears. if that's not it, check your wheel bearings. if you wait too long you'll only increase the repair bill.

Comment

Sounds like the old pesky axle may have spun off the hub ... then it will catch every once in a while and then spin out again .... time for a set of Mosers!!! I have seen this happen way to many times ... it will still drive fine because what will eventually happen is you will "weld" the hub to the shaft ... I made a week in Moab with a spun hub .... kinda made it a pain in the arse, but you can run on it for a while ... for my $.02 that is where I would start ....
          Last edited by Bret; 03-15-2005, 08:42 AM.

Comment

it does it when driving around, not specificly accerating or decelerating. just randomly. i shure wish it was warm enough to day to look into that dif. cover.

Comment

I would jack the rear end up off the ground ... put it in N and roll each of the wheels around and see if you hear a grinding noise at either wheel, if so, that is the hub that spun .... It may not do it with no weight on them ... but if its pretty chewed up in there ... it might

Comment

Sounds to me like typical M20 trac-lock sounds.
                Have you changed the gear oil lately? Did you put trac-lock additive in when you changed the oil?
                It still wouldn't hurt to pull the cover for inspection to make sure it is not broken parts. Then you can also find out if you have a trac-lock.

Comment

Originally posted by climbtothebeet
                  it does it when driving around, not specificly accerating or decelerating. just randomly. i shure wish it was warm enough to day to look into that dif. cover.

then it's not warm enough to get stranded either.

Comment

well, i jacked it up and spun the wheels, and i haerd no grinding. but, we started it up while it was jacked up, and it made grinding noises while in reverse. i think i will open that dif. cover when i get soem time. anybody have pictures of the trac lock?

Comment

was the grinding coming from the center diff or the wheels? Did it just begin doing this or has or been doing it for a while and is getting worse?

Comment

well, we couldnt tell where the grinding was coming form exactly, but it seemed stronger on the drivers side. it used to make a pop noise everyonce in a while, like swithing from reverse to forawrd, or when reversing out of my driveway. were going to have a guy we know look at it, he owns his own carlot\mechanic businues. but, still... i dont know what this could be. my knowledge of what goes on in a axel is limited.

Comment

Good luck. When the tires were in the air, did you notice if the rims had any play. (pushing the top of the tire in and out towards the fender.

Comment

Originally posted by climbtothebeet
                            well, i jacked it up and spun the wheels, and i haerd no grinding. but, we started it up while it was jacked up, and it made grinding noises while in reverse. i think i will open that dif. cover when i get soem time. anybody have pictures of the trac lock?
                            You are in luck, but I have to get them off of the camera and that is at home.
                            It is realy easy to tell the difference. The trac-loc is like a can but the open diff has a tapered part opposite side of the ring gear.
                            The 4wd magazine has pictures of both the trac-loc and the open dif, you can see the differences there.

Comment

That is the exact thing my buddies was doing when the key in the shaft came loose and the hub was popping back and forth when he switched directions ... Good Luck!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X