X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pressure Issue....again.

I believe I've posted a few times on various oil pressure issues, but I thought I'd run my new issue by you all to see what you think. 304 v8/headers/cam/edlebrock intake/holley carb. When I had everything working correctly, I had 20 PSI at idle with a mechanical gauge, and as I increased RPM's, the pressure would increase with it as you would expect. I typically ran 40 to 45 PSI at 3000 rpms. I have the typical worn rear main in a CJ and the numbers I'm giving you are hot numbers. All runs higher when cold. I let it sit for nearly a month and a half and went to move it and it would not start with what I believed to be a fuel issue. I finally got it started, and I had no oil pressure for an exceptionaly long time, with no valve rattle either. Then the pressure slowly came up to 25 PSI. Engine RPM did not change the pressure, it didn't increase or decrease. I changed the oil yesterday, replaced the line and gauge, pulled the oil pressure relief valve for obstructions, looked for engine wear in the oil and didn't find anything. Fired it up to find 50 PSI. But it didn't ever change no matter what the RPM range. After it was warm, I'm back to the 25 PSI mark, with no oil on the garage floor, no more than usual where the block meets the tranny, and no fluctuation. Any ideas.....? I'm feeling an engine replacement in the works.

oil pressure

could have the oil bypass sticking.Have to go threw the oil filter housing to pull it out and clean it.

Comment

Do you mean the oil pressure relief valve? I pulled that yesterday and I can't find any trash in it. It's only a couple of years old, and I change my oil every 2000 or so. I don't get any mileage on the Jeep, so it goes a while even at 2000.

Comment

I can assist you in what is needed to drop the 360 in. You can re-use most of your upgrades from the 304 also!

I think...(here is where I usually go wrong)...that maybe when it sat for a while, she was angry. If you start it now, does the pressure come up quick? It may just be mad at you for making it sit for a while.

Comment

Rig up a direct reading oil pressure gauge with minimal distance between the outlet and gauge. Is your gauge good quality? There is some crap out there and not all gauges are created equally in the world of replacement parts

Comment

Originally posted by 47driver
            I can assist you in what is needed to drop the 360 in. You can re-use most of your upgrades from the 304 also!

I think...(here is where I usually go wrong)...that maybe when it sat for a while, she was angry. If you start it now, does the pressure come up quick? It may just be mad at you for making it sit for a while.

LOL, yes she must have been angry. As with other things in life, I still can't figure out why. After my oil change broke in yesterday driving around the neighborhood, the pressure dropped to 28 or so PSI and did not change at all despite the RPM changes except when I shut it down. It just doesn't make any sense. I think I'm going to pull the whole pressure relief housing and look closer. If I don't find anything there, I'll pull the pan and see if I am sucking air in sump pump tube, and check the screen. If my issue is not there, then I am in for a new power plant, unfortuately, not anytime really soon. I did find a good running 360 today for $300 with A/C and all the brackets. It's been sitting a while and it has high mileage, but I was thinking about picking it up anyway, for use as a long block. Unless anyone else has a better idea...hint hint.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdave
              Rig up a direct reading oil pressure gauge with minimal distance between the outlet and gauge. Is your gauge good quality? There is some crap out there and not all gauges are created equally in the world of replacement parts

I replaced the gauge, the line, and all the fittings yesterday. The symptoms are the same with both gauges. Thought I had it fixed until it warmed up and I still didn't see any change in pressure with change in RPM.

Comment

when you pull the oil pan make sure there is a button on the bottom of the pick up and the pick up is not cracked were it goes into the block

Comment

I'll do that. If I was sucking air, it sure seems like I would be able to see the froth on dip stick....

Comment

Fuzz, by "button", do you mean the inlet screen? I'm just curious by what you mean by button.

Comment

on the bottom by the screen there is a plastic botton that keeps the pick up from getting tight against the oil pan by about 1/8- 3/16

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz401
                        on the bottom by the screen there is a plastic botton that keeps the pick up from getting tight against the oil pan by about 1/8- 3/16

That sure sounds plausible eh? Good thinking Fuzz....thanks!

Comment

Huh! That is now stashed away in my little information kit bag!

Comment

Working...
                          X