X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting a CJ couple of ?s

I am looking at getting a 83 cj7 and i just had a few wuestions on a couple things.
    1 what kind and where can i find a radio that will fit in the dash?

2where can i find lik the factory painted meta halfdoors?

3 will i have to remove all the little snaps if i put on a besttop soft top with that rail system?

4 Just wanted to ask from people with expeirence about putting it into 4wd. I have an autotranny with what seems to be an in and out box for both the front and the rear (2levers) and hubs in the front. Just wanted to know what to engage when, at what speeds, gear etc.?

Originally posted by maxmc08
    I am looking at getting a 83 cj7 and i just had a few wuestions on a couple things.

2where can i find lik the factory painted meta halfdoors?

3 will i have to remove all the little snaps if i put on a besttop soft top with that rail system?

4 Just wanted to ask from people with expeirence about putting it into 4wd. I have an autotranny with what seems to be an in and out box for both the front and the rear (2levers) and hubs in the front. Just wanted to know what to engage when, at what speeds, gear etc.?

1: Any radio you want will work; if it's to big cut the dash out some. Take it to the local radio shop if you can't do that yourself and they will help with the size and install.

2: Ebay, Jeep forums or the 4 Sale forum here on 4wd.com (Fubar has a set for sale. http://forums.4wd.com/kyoung_4wdforu...ad.php?t=29610 ) but more than likely you will have to get them painted to match your vehicle.

3: What snaps? You talking about the snaps down the side of the rails? If so, yes, to hell with snaps.

4: NEVER shift your Jeep into 4wd while moving. More than likely it isn't setup to do that like new cars are. Stop the vehicle and put it into 4wd. The hubs on the front are to lock the axles into the carrier and they only work when you shift it into 4wd.
    Sounds to me like you have a dual stick setup for your 4wd. This will give you many options with your 4wd; examples are 4wl, 4wh, 2wl & 2wh (high and low on both sides)

Comment

The snaps will not mess with the bestop rails. I ground mine off because they were shot and looked like crap anyway. The rail simply bolts to the top of the body tub. You wil need to remove the old factory brackets, but it's no biggie at all. The biggest hassel to the bestop is making sure your windsheild is adjusted correctly: you need a certain measurement from the top of the windsheild frame to the back of the tub. The directions explain it well and it's simple to do. Much better than the stock junk!

I agree, sounds like you have a twin stick transfer case setup. Factory is one shift lever. Nice setup, I've never used one, but supposedly, you can do some cool stuff with it. One shifting tip: if the stick hangs or gets stuck, and you cannot shift the t'case; try pulling on the lever while in reverse. You don't need to move much usually, just enough to take the pressure off the gears.

For the radio, I REALLY suggest getting a boat stereo. Bass ProShops has some really nice head units. I have killed two Pioneer decks in the last two years...and I keep them dry too! I've spent more than I would have if I had just gone with the marine stuff first. Don't worry about cutting out the dash. I used a dremel tool, a jigsaw would work better. Easy job.

Enjoy the Jeep and welcome to the madness!

Comment

don't spend a lot of money for a radio. if you have an old one or can find one used somewhere cheap, put that in. if you put in an expensive radio it will just give some lowlife a reason to steal it. (been there, done that)

Comment

Agreed

Originally posted by Gryphon

For the radio, I REALLY suggest getting a boat stereo. Bass ProShops has some really nice head units. I have killed two Pioneer decks in the last two years...and I keep them dry too! I've spent more than I would have if I had just gone with the marine stuff first. Don't worry about cutting out the dash. I used a dremel tool, a jigsaw would work better. Easy job.
          Not a big deal to install the stereo and go with a marine grade. I put one in mine and have been very happy with its performance. I have one with the removable face which has helped me feel better about putting more money into it.

When i installed my new besttop i just left the snaps where they were. I knew that I would need to repair body rust, so I plan on removing the snaps and filling the holes when I do that. They don;t interfere with the rails.

I got my jeep this past summer. I love cussing at it when something won't cooperate, but love it even more when she is going down the road or going through the woods. I hope that you do the same.

Comment

Post a pic of the shifters

IF ya can post a couple of pics of the shifters,

And as far as shifting on the fly as long as the hubs are locked, you can shift in and out of 4hi on the move. Low range isnt suggested to shift on the fly unless you are at a crawl. Some setups thats the only way some people can get them into 4low..
            Maybe after posting the pics, we can help with determining which setup you have and the shift patterns...

Fubar by all rights has the best deal on a set of hard full doors., Painting to match is no biggy.. Buying from one of us is far more better than Ebay most of the time.
            Good luck... and hope ya get the CJ, you wont regret it.....

Comment

i gotta say as far as tops go i Hated my Bestop supertop...the rails are thin, the fit was bad (partly my fault), and the bows were weak...plus the tabs on the rear bow were as flexible as a yoga instructor in a hot tub...i have a YJ top and hardware on my 7 now and as a testament it has not come loose, sagged, slipped, flipped, flapped, flopped, snapped, twisted or twirled a single time on me...factory is far superior

assuming the replacement hardware our host sells is factory spec i'd strongly suggest buying it and a replacement YJ top...thats is if you don't want to get rained on, slapped in the face by a floppy top, or just plain look dumb when the back bow falls and your jeep looks like a dog with its tail between its legs

Comment

Hey thanks alot guys it helped alot and i really hope i do get it.

but the one thing i dont think i explained right on the doors is i want to find the half metal doors the ones that you slip a soft top upper half doors in and out of. thanks

Comment

Your best bet is to look on ebay (or something like it) or in the "for sale" forum on this site. You might have to have them painted but it shouldn;t be too expensive. I ran a quick search on this site and there were a couple of sets for sale for 250 and 300. They are around.

Comment

Originally posted by maxmc08
                    You probably wont find a new radio to fit the factory holes. Even the ones with adjustable pegs on the tuning/volume knobs don't go narrow enough. You either have to find an older radio, or do as suggested and cut the dash to fit the newer DIN style radio's.

As far as the twinsticks, you have these options:

2 wheel high (lever closest to you all the way back, other lever in the middle position, or nuetral) (rear axle, standard driving on street)

4 HI (both sticks back),

4 LOW (both sticks forward),

Front axle only LOW range, (stick closest to you in middle position, farthest one all the way forward)

Rear axle only LOW (lever closest to you al the way forward, other lever in the middle position)

Thats it unless someone modified the shift rail to allow front axle only HI, which would be the farthest stick all the way back, and the closest stick in the middle.
                    If you can do this, be careful, sometimes if modified wrong, it's possible to put the front axle in HI and the rear axle in LO (one stick all the way forward, the other stick all the way backwards) cuasing a bind on the drivetrain. (and most likely breaking something)

As hmr-rsq said, shifting into 4 HI while moving is OK, as long as the hubs are locked in. Good Luck! HB

Comment

Working...
                    X