X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flex Fan Verses Clutch Fan

Flex Fan v/s Clutch Fan, which is best for a 4.2 258cid everyday 1982 CJ7 driver. I want to stay away from an electric fan.

IMO flex fan's are a waste of money. i saw a report done on them once that backed my statement up but i'm not in the mood to search for it for you.

Comment

jason im glad you brought that up, i was plaaning om putting a flex-a-lite on the winter and wanted some input on that one also

Comment

I know you didn't ask about electric fans, but IMHO, electric is the only way to go.

With an automatic temperature switch you can just forget about them and they keep you cool.

With an "off-override" switch you can turn them off to protect them when crossing deep water.

With an "on-override" switch you can turn it on when you know that the engine will be getting hot or anytime the gauge reads higher than you like (also handy in the unlikely event that the auto switch goes out).

On top of all those benefits the electric fan does not sap as much power as a mechanical one.

Comment

iv'e heard from many mechanics (drag racer's) that they are sh!t. i also went with a electric flex-a-light duel fan,easy as pie to hook up, i love it....

Comment

I was also concidering a flex fan. But after doing some research I decided on an electric fan, they seem to be far superior than a mechanically diven fan.

Comment

flex fans bend really bad when you get into deep water and also push alot of water where a clutch fan is stronger and will slow down or stop in deep water

Comment

I saw a flex-lite on a 401 throw blades when it hit deep water, one blade holed the radiator.
                I've never considered having one since I saw that.
                Electric fans will save gas, but if you buy an expensive one then water ingress kills it, you have saved nothing.
                Switching off the fan in water may not stop the bearings becoming contaminated and failing later.

Comment

Originally posted by ferretjuggler View Post
                  Switching off the fan in water may not stop the bearings becoming contaminated and failing later.
                  if you don't have an electric fan you don't know for sure. i've got an electric fan and i know for sure. i've crossed water with it, it's gotten soaked and it's a pusher so it's always got rain hitting it. even a puller gets driving rain on it. be realistic, they're made to hold up to the elements.

the bearings won't fail.

electric gives you the best of all scenarios except they cost a little more. i spent $120 on mine total with wires/switches. if you get a taurus fan from a scrap yard you can spend less and probably have a better fan than i do.

Comment

I also recommend an electric fan over any mechanical type. I went with the later model dual Taurus fans since they were narrower than the earlier single Taurus fan setup. Fab a bracket for them and you get something like the following:

Comment

Working...
                    X