X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torx Bits

I just decided to take the windshield off one of my CJ7s.
    I've used my Torx bits quite a few times, either the bolt/screw comes undone, or the "spline" on the bolt tears out then I have to drill or chissel.
    This Jeep however has screws which seem rock hard.
    I've shattered two (Cr-V) T40 bits and have one left which is about to go.
    Will I get anywhere buying top quality bits (like snap-on) or will they give out too.
    The remaining seized screws MIGHT drill out or might be too hard to drill. I dunno yet (I came in when it went dark).
    Any ideas how to shift 'em?
    (Yes I have soaked them in penetrating oil, also, I find tightening them a fraction breaks the seize better, but to no effect this time)

i wouldnt go with snap o bits or anything like that, get something that is titanium or has a diamond tip, your gonna need something that can withstand some heat, youll just smoke a set of cheap bits and remember to drill on a slow speed with hard metal

Comment

If you're not planning on re-using the bolts then you could always just weld a nut on the head of the torx bolt and then just use a socket to try to get it out.

Comment

I'm thinking that myself, trouble is those screen bolts are countersunk so I've only got 9/16" to aim at, if I arc across onto the hinge I'll have to grind back.
        Secondly, I'm not sure I'll get an arc on the bolt heads, they may be so rusted on the threads that they've lost electrical contact with the body.
        Still I'm going to give it a try, if it fails,it wont upset me as much as breaking a new set of torx bits.

Comment

The man who invented the torx bit should be killed. Damn those bolts.

I had to drill 90% of mine out and retap everything.

Comment

Had to get some of these out after all stores were closed and went to a last resort attempt. Dilled the hole in the torx just about the same size of a hexed philips screwdriver bit head bit with a light press fit and drove the bit in. Heated the bit with a propane torch and when it heated up I turned it with a socket wrench.
            This was after killing my easy out and being out of torch gas. Worked three or four times now.
            Not recommended practice ....... just when you are desparate.

Comment

like hoppy , i have had great results with a little heat ( and i mean a little ) acetylene is too hot , just a small micro butane torch will do it . if there is any loctite on the screws , they need a little heat to loosen it . i have had good results using an impact driver ( not to be mixed up with an impact gun ) with the torx bit . if you suspect rust has it frozen , hit it with blaster for a day or two , then hit'm . patients..patients..patients... ................

Comment

Have you tried an impact screwdriver?

Comment

Topsail,NC Have you tried an impact screwdriver?
                  I should have tried that first, now I've killed the only stub bit I had, I only have half an "L" key left (I don't know what the correct term is)
                  I'm not inclined to go out and buy another set just to bust them again.

So it looks like nobody has found a sure fire way of shifting these little bastards.
                  I'll have to resort (as usual) to persistance and plain bloody mindedness, when I've done I'm fitting hex head bolts instead.
                  It wont look as neat, but at least I'll know I can get stuff apart without a full workshop.

Comment

I beat on mine. I have a rather cheap set from a parts store (NAPA) that do fine for me...so far.

I soak the bolts (PB Blaster) for a couple weeks before I try anything, then I put the driver in and hit it several times with a hammer before I try to pull them out.

Better quality torx should help. Mine are middle-quality. Really cheap ones just snap. I've replaced the torx I have removed with stainless allen heads (hex heads).

Comment

to answer your question about whether to buy expensive torx bits like those from snap-on...yes definitely, go buy the good ones...they are way stronger and will fit the fastener way better...i personally went on and got the tamper proof torx sockets from the snap-on man a few months ago...i've seen em work where others have failed, they are super strong and guaranteed...forget about ball torx, they suck themselves

Comment

Working...
                      X