X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting Por 15

I have some parts painted with Por15 that I would like to paint. Por sells a self etching primer to paint over the por15, but it is $25.50 for a 15oz. spray can . I have some adhesion promotor spray that I am going to use to paint the fender flares, would that work?

Or should I buy some duplicolor self etching primer? I just don't want to spend nearly five times the amount on the por product if I can get the same thing for less.

An suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by dj_jeepin; 01-14-2008, 09:26 AM.

Originally posted by dj_jeepin View Post
    I have some parts painted with Por15 that I would like to paint. Por sells a self etching primer to paint over the por15, but it is $25.50 for a 15oz. spray can . I have some adhesion promotor spray that I am going to use to paint the fender flares, would that work?

Or should I buy some duplicolor self etching primer? I just don't want to spend nearly five times the amount on the por product if I can get the same thing for less.

An suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    I recommend the primer from POR15.
    I got it and it really isn't like I or my father seen. Thick stuff. But it seemed to paint over really well.

Comment

Did you use the spray or the brush on primer? If you did use the spray does it go a long way like the Por15 does?
      Last edited by dj_jeepin; 01-14-2008, 02:21 PM.

Comment

The stuff is a brush or spray application.
        You just thin it down if you are going to spray. I sprayed mine. And yes it does last a long time. I think I will have that gallon for the rest of my life.

Comment

I've been doing some POR painting lately, and I'm starting to firmly believe that cutting corners is NOT wise. For example, if you don't use any primer between fully cured coats of POR15 the top layer will not adhere well at all (too glossy). And there's no way in heck I'm going to wet-sand a frame before next coat. So I either recoat while still just a bit tacky per instructions, or use the tie-coat primer once fully cured. The brush-on primer doesn't level very well so either spray it on or accept that your frame isn't going to be smooth. If you have the means to spray then spray. The brush worked well for me but doesn't look so good.

Comment

Okay, I guess I'll have to suck it up and buy the Por15 primer. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Just thought I'd put my 2cents in on the POR15. Eastwood has a similar product called rust encapsulator. It's less expensive that POR15, is UV stable so it doesn't HAVE to be topcoated, and is easier to apply with less prep work.
              I know your already down the POR15 road, but you might try this the next time. I used it on the frame of my '67 Chev PU over 10yrs ago. Went on right over surface rust and it still looks like it did then! And I drive that truck all the time, rain or shine.
              Their website is www.EastwoodCo.com

Comment

Working...
              X