X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resistor? Resistance Wire to coil?

I just bought an ungraded ignition coil for my '81 CJ8. Install was simple. Then I was instructed to test the voltage to the coil. It tested 8volts. Instructions say that if the voltage is less than battery (12volts), then a resistor or resistance wire is in the system and should be removed. What am I looking for? I don't see anything inline that looks like a resistor. What is a resistance wire? and how do I remove it? Anyone know what I need to do? Thanks.

It is a resistance wire from a splice near the firewall plug (look for the duct tape) to the (+) on the coil.

http://luanjp.com/strenk/images/Elec...ireBukhead.jpg

What ignition system are you installing?
    Last edited by John Strenk; 01-14-2008, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I'll take a look and see if I can find it. When I do, can I just cut it from the fuse block? or do I need to cut it from the wire to the coil itself?

It just put on a FlameThrower coil. Didn't want to make a big $$$ change, just a little more spark. Thanks.

Comment

Well if you cut out the resistor wire you can kill your ignition module. The coil will draw more current than the ign module can handle.

Tough call. do a search for a "Stealth HEI" system. It uses a GM HEI Module with the stock distributor and upgraded coil.

You should splice it at the point were old splice was and take it to the (+) on the coil.

Comment

Hmmmm. Ok. I won't cut anything. I'll look up the other stuff. Thank you very much.

Comment

resister

The way to check for a resister in your wireing is connect a jumper wire from the negative terminal of the coil to an engine ground. Connect the black lead of a voltmeter to ground and the red lead to the positive coil terminal. Make sure the voltmeter is set to 12 volt scale. Turn the ignition switch to the on position while watching the voltmeter. If the voltmeter reads 12 volts, then there is no resistor in the system. If the voltmeter reads less than battery voltage, then there is a resister in the system. Also, Most aftermarket coils have different ohms ratings for different applications.Get in touch with the company and find out if you have the correct coil for your specific application.
            Last edited by seejay-5; 02-06-2008, 01:30 PM.

Comment

So the hybrid will take the full 12 volts????? I have one in the works I just need to find a dead Duraspark box for the wirers.

Comment

Originally posted by GPER View Post
                So the hybrid will take the full 12 volts????? I have one in the works I just need to find a dead Duraspark box for the wirers.
                Yep, MAke sure you use the white paste heat sink compound. Not that cleas stuff they sell at some auto parts store.

Comment

Thanks John, I should finish this up this summer.

Comment

Working...
                  X