X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a new title?

I have an old CJ7 with a VIN tag, but there is no title with it. Is there any way of legally getting a new title for this vehicle? Thanks, David

I think you can get a title for it. You may want to have someone run the VIN first, incase it is stolen or something. Try calling the DMV.

Comment

In MN you can apply for a duplicate title (at the DMV), it automatically runs the vin for theft, lien(s) and salvage. If everything's clear, they send you a title. Like BustaBizz said, check wth your local DMV.

Comment

use some caution with going to the DMV. I knew someone with the same situation went to the DMV and it turned out stolen. It cost him a few $$ for legal fees plus he lost the car. NY state

Comment

Originally posted by scobar View Post
          use some caution with going to the DMV. I knew someone with the same situation went to the DMV and it turned out stolen. It cost him a few $$ for legal fees plus he lost the car. NY state
          I'd rather know right away if a vehicle is stolen, rather than loose it later fter putting time and $$ into it, and risking being charged with posession of stolen property.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Comment

Can tell you from experience that if it was stolen you may loose it. I happened to buy a stolen CJ7 and didn't find out until I contacted the DMV and found the owner. He never reported it stolen but he sure wanted to know where I got it. Gave him the receipt that I had with the VIN Number and the amount I paid. ($400.00)

I gave him $50.00 and he gave me the title. I'm sure that someone is doing prison time for that - this guy was mad and wanted revenge big time!

Another thought:

Hate to think what would have happened if I put a lot of $$ and work in to it.
            Last edited by hoppym38; 01-16-2008, 12:17 AM.

Comment

HB is right..you gotta tell the man..what are you going to do..never register it?

Comment

like everyone said, go witha carfax history report and see what ya find, when i transferred the title to mine they told me the VIN didnt match any vehicle ever created, but they printed me a title with it on i and now it a fully registered VIN

morale of the story: these jeeps are old, tell them you could only get a partial VIN if all else fails, worked for me it will make things easier if the guy you bought it off of is with you. This was in PA i dunno where your dealin with tho

Comment

Thanks guys, I just want to get the Jeep back in service again. David

Comment

Title

Originally posted by NitrousDave2 View Post
                    I have an old CJ7 with a VIN tag, but there is no title with it. Is there any way of legally getting a new title for this vehicle? Thanks, David
                    Usually depends on your state. They all seem to have different rules regarding vehicle titles. Many states don't even require titles anymore if they're over a certain age. There's also a place called Maine-ly Titles.
                    I think you can find them online. They'll do all the leg work and get you a title. Last I remember it was something like $350 but it may be worth it to you.

Comment

Check your Private Messages

Comment

Hey Dave,

It woudl really help if you updated your profile to list where you are. Furthermore, the "whys' for the reasons you don't have a title might help you decise if you want to file for a lost title etc.

Did you buy it from an estate and they couldn't find it?

Previous seller couldn't locate it?

Previous seller had it on his property as an abondoned vehicle and didn't know why and simply sold it to you?

Do you think it was titled in the state you live in? If not, you would certainly have to do an out of state inspection and that would be a different animal.

I sent you a PM.

Rudy

Comment

...ah. I forgot to tell you guys I stole it myself and lost the title that was in the glove box..."

Comment

Working...
                          X