X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering column parts?

I have an 82 Scrambler with a tilt column. While I was revamping my clutch linkage and modifying it for a cable type clutch, I noticed my steering wheel was a bit wobbly. So, since I had to pull it to get to my pedal assembly, I decided to tear it down and see what the problem was. I found that the metal housing was broken where the tilt mechanics link to the housing shell itself. I can weld the housing back up, but I need the plastic cover for the top of the housing. Is there anywhere that sells individual pieces for cj tilt steering columns? Or if anyone has an old tilt column that they want to get rid of, I'd be interested. It doesn't all have to be there, just the column housing and the plastic cover. That's really all I need (I think . . .). Let me know if any of you can help out!

part 2

Just a thought . . . Does anyone know what other vehicles/years the GM column went into? Where there any other GM cars/trucks/vans that have interchangeable parts with my cj tilt column? For only those two parts, a salvage might have a popular model if it was interchangeable. Any experiences or ideas?

Comment

I installed a blazer S10 tilt into my '80 CJ, very little fab and easy to get, might check one to see if the parts are interchangable. Either that or any che/gmc from the mid '70's to 'early '80s should have the same style column for the parts you need.

Comment

tell me more about this cable operated clutch...i read about it in the jeep bible but i haven't seen anything else

Comment

Hey Captain! I've tried to get in touch with you but haven't been successful, email, threads, etc. Please email me if you see this post.

Thanks

Comment

jeep clutch

Well, when I installed my 302, I used a mustang guru to mate the engine with the existing T-5 tranny (time constraints). Due to the short shaft on the jeep t-5, the bell housing had to be shorter to mate up with the pilot bushing. Anyway, the only bell housing short enough existed as a pull type throwout lever. So I just bought an aftermarket mustang cable and cam clutch cable with a sector and modified it with the pedal assembly and threw out the old push-type clutch connection. I think it will be stronger and more versatile. I'm at least going to try it to see if it will work.

By the way. The steering column jacket is actual metal and it can be welded! So now I'm going to put everything back together and see what happens. Wish me luck!

Comment

Originally posted by jeepblur View Post
              I have an 82 Scrambler with a tilt column. While I was revamping my clutch linkage and modifying it for a cable type clutch, I noticed my steering wheel was a bit wobbly. So, since I had to pull it to get to my pedal assembly, I decided to tear it down and see what the problem was. I found that the metal housing was broken where the tilt mechanics link to the housing shell itself. I can weld the housing back up, but I need the plastic cover for the top of the housing. Is there anywhere that sells individual pieces for cj tilt steering columns? Or if anyone has an old tilt column that they want to get rid of, I'd be interested. It doesn't all have to be there, just the column housing and the plastic cover. That's really all I need (I think . . .). Let me know if any of you can help out!
              i bought an 83 Cherokee for parts, and swapped into my 84 CJ7 used the engine modified the radiator, and used the tilt collum. the steering column fit no problem (automatic tans).

Comment

Working...
              X