Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield Replacement Tip

Just some helpful info.....

I got a guy to swap out my windshield from my old frame to my new one this evening. He idid it in about 30 minutes and it cost me $50.00. I could have tried it myself but i new i would struggle for hours if not days.

I went to a shop and they wanted to charge me the $100.00 to do it.

Tip: If the shop office is charging too much talk to one of the workers. They have their own tools and are usually happy to grab so quick cash after 5pm or on the weekends.

It was worth it!

I had to replace my windshield and did it myself in about 2hr. Needed a couple extra hands, but nothing major.
    Check this web site if you want to do it yourself.

http://www.jeepbrokers.com/jeep_proj...eplacement.htm

Comment

Cool site. thx!

Comment

Watched my body guy do it for me. He had a nylon rope thing going on. Went right in. I'll try it myself next time.

Comment

wow i am about to change my windsheild frame and put my old windsheild in...that web-site u posted will really help...it has some cool stuff on there

Comment

There is a glass shop near me that will install a new windshield in my jeep for $100.00.

Comment

CAD- What frame did you put in? A new steel, a new glass, or original frame you got from someone?

I need to replace my frame as well and have heard mixed reviews about the new steel and glass frames.

Comment

i am ordering a steel frame i dont know anything about wuts better besides the price...but then agin glass dont rust or anything like that

Comment

Another seller of Jeep parts (name unmentioned) sells the gaskets with a note that you need 2 tubes of sealer. I noticed no sealer of any kind was used on the installation on the link. It looks just like replacing the back window of a pick-up truck with a slider, but the back window isn't subjected to the same elements as a front windshield. I've seen several threads mention "windshield leaks". Anybody got any thoughts on the sealer?

Comment

Yes! The web link said nothing about sealer and I can tell you, mine leaked. I have since gone back and sealed between the rubber and the glass and still need to seal between the rubber and the frame.
                    If following the web instructions, it should be easy to seal between rubber and glass we you put on the gasket. The next place to seal would need to be done as it is being installed into the frame. One person inside pulling on the rope and one outside applying sealer as it seats in the frame.

Comment

A few years ago I repalced my 1979 frame with a fiberglass frame with the origional glass.......absolute crap!!!! Don't do that!!!!!

A few years less ago I replaced my fiberglass windsheild frame with origional glass with a metal windshield frame. It lasted for years but rusted out....

Two days ago, I replaced my 2nd metal windsheild frame with origional glass. I had it professionally changed to my new metal windshield using a new gasket from out host. Seem to be just fine, but I have not placed it on the tub......(probably won't fit with my luck).

My advice, use metal, not fiberglass. Makes stronger connection points for things like sun visors, defroster vents and other things......

Comment

I have a fiberglass one and love it. Never had any problems. And I have had the glass replaced. The glass guy had no problems putting it in.
                        However Cad, you do make a good point, it would be much easier to mount things to including a hard top.

Comment

Working...
                        X