X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted...

So, I was riding down a dirt road when I hit a pothole. Hitting this pothole evidently caused my engine to flex so much that my Flex-A-Lite fan dug into my BeCool aluminum radiator... Nooooooo!!!!!! These things are friggin' expensive! Even though I do love it because it keeps me nice and cool, does anyone know of any other good Chevy conversion radiators for my 307 c.i. SBC in my '81 CJ-7???

I see them on E-bay with the conversion for the SBC for around $340. I am considering buying one because my stock 3-core V-8 radiator will still only keep the motor around 215-220 degrees in the summer. If you find one that you like, post it on the forum so I know which one to buy. Summer is fast approaching. Also, you better check your motor mounts & tranny mounts. Hitting a pothole should not cause this unless you fan is 1/2" from your radiator.
    Last edited by Renegade; 03-17-2005, 03:15 AM.

Comment

I just used the stock 4 core radiator from a 304 ... took to a radiator shop and they switched the outlets, rodded it and pressure tested ...$80!!

Never had and probs with it .....

Comment

One other thing to consider. I didn’t like the way my 6 moved around, so I installed poly mounts on the engine and tranny. You can’t move it now. In fact, the engine will hang on the mounts without a jack underneath it and the valve cover won’t touch the firewall.

Comment

summit has some "cool" prices on alum rads. i was looking at getting one myself but stayed with copper instead. the summit brand and griffin are not quite so expensive as the be cool.

on a side note, lose the flex fan. if you want better air pull use an electric fan. i don't doubt the blade flexed and hit your rad. IMHO they're not as good as regular fans.
          Last edited by FUBAR; 03-17-2005, 09:21 AM.

Comment

If you find a "jobber" parts store that sells rads, look in their book and it usually will have a section for v-8 conversions. When I worked at the jobbers I found them in the SPI catalog.Their listings are for Jeeps and T.L.C.'s with small block chev conversions. Also, the pics will show where the inlet/outlet positions are on the replacement rads. Hope that helps.

ragg

Comment

summit has some "cool" prices on alum rads.

Craig, that sounded like a joke that the Horsepower TV guys would have made.

What is the advantage to an aluminum radiator, as opposed to the stock?

Comment

aluminum dissipates heat much better than brass/copper. it also dissipates your money faster too.

Comment

Yeah, it seems that the aluminim is 2x the price of the brass/copper ones.

Comment

a two core aluminum radiator will flow just as good as a four core brass/copper.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's help! I might consider gettin' myself an electric fan and ditch the mechanical one. Yea, I had about an inch of clearance anyways... So mo' horsepower!

Comment

i did some research on fans when i was rebuilding my cj and found that flex fans are not only a waste of money, but don't cool as well. they save no HP. even though they're lighter in some cases, the flexing causes then to spin less efficiently. electric or just a steel crank driven one will do fine. for any fan to work properly it must have a shroud~

Comment

Working...
                        X