X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinion Snubber

What is a pinion snubber? Where does it go and what does it do? I have an idea it does something like snub the pinion maybe? Anyway, does anyone use one, or is it worth putting on?
    Thanks

Someone correct me if i am wrong but, i believe that it is the "Bump Stop" for the front axle.

Comment

the 'bump stop' is the first thing that came to my mind. your jeep should have one already. it prevents the front axle from bouncing too far up when you hit a bump or are at full flex. its a triagular piece of rubber rigtht above the front diff.

Comment

I know what a bump stop is, and I have them. But I just have seen in the catalog the bump stop is called a Axle Snubber (#2 on page 196) and there is also a Front Axle Pinion Snubber (#15) and a Pinion Snubber Bracket (#16). So is it the same thing? The Pinion Snubber Bracket doesn't look like anything to do with a bumpstop, but I could be wrong.

Comment

This is just what I have always heard it refered as. It actually is mounted on the front of the rear end housing just behind and above the u-joint. It has a base with a rubber piece attached that when the housing tends to turn up due to the force applied it contacts a portion of the frame to prevent it from turning to much. Race cars use them to stop wheel hop on acceleration. When I was younger and into quarter mile racing we built them up higher to prevent the axle housing from moving as much as possible (same theory as a traction bar). How it would apply to 4 wheeling, I am not real sure as the the grip from a aggressive mud tire is probably nothing compared to the grip of racing slicks on asphalt. Thats just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

The pinion snubber is in fact a bump stop -- of sorts, and it is the one above the differential pinion.

But i always believed it's purpose was to limit axle wrap. Axle wrapping the front axle is a no-no because it also affects your steering geometry/alignment.. too much and you'd have a whole lot of positive caster and very wandering jeep. So yes it is worth having... if said jeep is fairly stock (it will cause binding up or hit before the actual axle bump stops if put on a lifted jeep... another thing that SHOULD come in a lift kit is an axle wrap bar for the axles).

I don't know if/where it is on a cj5, but on a cj7 it's on the passenger side... right above the front diff. Pretty much directly below the mechanical fuel pump on an I-6.

The actual bump stops are mounted directly under the frame... where the axle tube would make contact with it.... one on each side, all four corners... this things main purpose is to soften the blow when the axle comes into contact with the frame... and also to limit suspension compression.
            Last edited by 86cj_wally; 03-17-2005, 09:30 PM.

Comment

i just figured its there to keep the diff from knocking through your oil pan, since its ont he passenger side and thats wherethe diff is, and if it hit completely level at full compression the bump stop would hit the tube, but the diff is higher than the tube so without that you may have oil pan contact?

just my own theory.

Comment

Originally posted by thejeepingoat
                i just figured its there to keep the diff from knocking through your oil pan, since its ont he passenger side and thats wherethe diff is, and if it hit completely level at full compression the bump stop would hit the tube, but the diff is higher than the tube so without that you may have oil pan contact?

just my own theory.

That is what I was told.

Comment

Working...
                X