X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ>YJ Roll Bar Swap

Has anyone ever taken the stock YJ roll cage and put it on a CJ7?
    I like the way the front bars hook up to the windshield and would love to add the 3 point seat belt security to the back seat for my kids.
    I*m not too much of a fan of front bar going down to the floor with some of the kits out there. (I know that adds safety.)
    I have a fiberglass tub and the stock steel windshield on a 83 CJ7
    Thanks,

I have done the older YJ(non family roll bar) and the only thing I found that with a hard top you need to remove some distance out of it. Roll bar hits top before it gets down to body. I don't know if this is a YJ thing or the fiberglass. I assumed it was fiberglass. I do know that the family bolts right in to the steel.

Don't forget you have to tie it to the frame.

Comment

I never liked the idea of the front bars being tied into the windshield. Maybe that's just me, but I can't see it holding up too well in a serious roll on the rocks. You can make the front bars hug the dash and then kick in a little at the bottom of the dash.

Comment

I have the family style roll bar that you want installed in my 85 CJ-7. The back half bolted into the factory holes no problems. I used the windshield bars as a template and drilled and tapped holes to secure them in place.

IMHO, the windshield stretchers are just for show as they are made of lightweight tubing and the windshield frame isn't that tough either.

I like the look of the front tie in kits that bolt to the dash. In the future I plan on getting or making a set and then I will tie into the frame behind the dash so I can still climb in and out of the front seats without banging my knees.

Comment

ive been thinking the same thing...i found a yj roll bar in a junkyard for 25$.and wanted to know if it wuold fit on my 78cj5. the measurements are the same. thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Cj_HighLife View Post
            ive been thinking the same thing...i found a yj roll bar in a junkyard for 25$.and wanted to know if it wuold fit on my 78cj5. the measurements are the same. thoughts?
            I have a 76 CJ5 and was interested in doing this as well.

Comment

this saturday im going to go pick it up. and see if it fits...il get back to you saturday night with results. *76 cj5*

Comment

Working...
              X