X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 84cj 258 HEI/ noncomp. carb

I live in an emmissions state. This is what I have done to my CJ7. Before I try an emissions test, do any of you Jeep Wizards have any advise. (I mean that respectfully). I also need a CTO for my vacuum advance and EGR. Does any one sell this other than an AMC dealer? Has any one figured out how to make the carberator pre heat work correctly with out the computer driving the vacuum system? A 3 port CTO one normally open and one normally closed would be a easy solution? Do they make such a thing? Love my HEI upgrade!! Did I mention I love my HEI upgrade! Knowledge comes with a price. Being a cheap Yankee I will take all the knowledge at this price I can get. I really appreciate all the advise I have gotten from this forum. I hope in the near future I can give some knowledgable advise.

What emissions state exactly? It makes a difference.

CTO switches are easy to come by, most auto parts stores have them, or can order them. They just don't know it. Try calling it a ported vacuum switch instead of a CTO and See if you get fewer dumb looks.

Now for the bad news... If your state requires a visual inspection it will never pass with the HEI. (provided the inspector knows what he is doing.)

If you have to pass a visual inspection, you have very few options.

1. Restore all the stock emission components long enough to pass the test, then fix it at home.

2. Try to find a smog legal upgrade that normally eliminates the emissions stuff. (Hesco MPI kit)

3. Mix and match upgrades and factory emission components. (Howell TBI)

4. Find an inspector that can be bought.

Others here may have more options, but these will get you thinking.

Comment

Old Timer..say you are not in CA..please

Comment

Working...
      X