X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 84cj hei

Finally got it in. GREAT upgrade. Does any one know if I can use the original cj tach with my gm hei distributor? If so what wiring changes are needed? Thanks to all the jeep folks for all the advise. My next adventure is a rochester 2gc. Has any done this? Need suggestions on jetting. I am using a small bore 350 cfm carb. I am obviously an old GM die hard.

Old Timer, What all is involved in the HEI upgrade? How hard to do the work?

Comment

Old timer, you still with us?

Comment

HEI Upgrade

I am having major server problems, if any of my replies got out before this one sorry. Used 1980 GM line 6 distributor and rebuilt with all new GM components. On e-bay I bought a drive gear made for this conversion $18.00 and was SUPPOSE to be made in the USA, aslo a set of 8mm Delphi wires made for this upgrade $35.00. I put a NAPA brass contact cap and rotor in it. From Summit Racing I bought a mechanical advance weight kit and a Tach and Power connecter kit. I had to grind a little off the shoulders of the drive gear were in drops into the pump or the distributor would not seat on the block. I have heard horror stories about cam gear failures after this upgrade so I pulled my distributor several times to check the wear. From what I can see it looks normal. I have 2500 miles on it and still running great. I am not using vacuum to the distributor, I am playing with mechanical weights to try and get my desired timing curve. Hope this helps Old Tmer

Comment

Old Timer quote "I am not using vacuum to the distributor, I am playing with mechanical weights to try and get my desired timing curve."

I bought a MSD timing box to control my curve. Been running it this summer in my car and I like the results over playing around with weights and springs. No vacuum advance as it's a go fast street thing. Don't think I'll ever go back to mechanical advance.

Comment

Timing box

Thanks for the input, can this be used with HEI? I am not getting the results I was hoping for. This is my first AMC in line 6 and it is touchy on timing settings with out the computer. Thanks again Old timer

Comment

Originally posted by old timer View Post
              Thanks for the input, can this be used with HEI? I am not getting the results I was hoping for. This is my first AMC in line 6 and it is touchy on timing settings with out the computer. Thanks again Old timer
              Can't see why not. Only reason I'm running a MSD is a HEI will not fit behind my 2x4 set-up. Just have to "lock" the mechanical timing in it. Some weld them but I prefer to make a little bracket that attaches to the spring pins to prevent them from moving. Must be secure of timing will fluctuate. Rubber bands are a no-no

Biggest problem I've seen with playing with spring and weights is getting at all the timing. Most of the time the weight open too soon limiting your mechanical timing. I always set my timing for the upper limit, ie 36 degrees, and then check what my initial is. If I have a 20 degree cam in the dist the initial should be 16 degrees. Most of the time it is higher because the timing has already started advancing at idle. But I assume that is the way you are doing it too. And I also assume since you are not using the vacuum advance that that is also locked down.

Comment

Working...
              X