X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading Ignition System With Hei Distributor

I Have A 1981 258 With All Stock Ignition Components And Am Interested In An Uprade To A Hei Distributor (part # Da12 On 4wd Hardware). Now I Read The Instructions On The Thread From Hill Bill E, But There Is No Instructions About Getting Rid Of The Stock Items. My Question I Guess Would Be.... Do I Just Pull Off The Stock Module (under The Washer Reservoir), And Pull Off The Coil As Well? I Think This New Dist Has Both Of Those Items On, Or In It. If Not, Will I Need To Upgrade Either Of These? I Know I'll Need Some Heavier Duty Wires And A Bigger Gap On The Plugs, But Will I Need More Juice From My Alternator As The Instructions From Hill Bill E Noted? I Think This Upgrade Is Easier Than What I'm Thinking, If Anyone Has Delt With This Issue, Please Give Me Some Input On How Tough Of An Upgrade This Actually Is, Or Any Feedback At All Would Be Greatly Appreciated.

Sorry The Thread For The Instructions Was Posted By Tjmagoo

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskanbadfish View Post
      I Have A 1981 258 With All Stock Ignition Components And Am Interested In An Uprade To A Hei Distributor (part # Da12 On 4wd Hardware). Now I Read The Instructions On The Thread From Hill Bill E, But There Is No Instructions About Getting Rid Of The Stock Items. My Question I Guess Would Be.... Do I Just Pull Off The Stock Module (under The Washer Reservoir), And Pull Off The Coil As Well? I Think This New Dist Has Both Of Those Items On, Or In It. If Not, Will I Need To Upgrade Either Of These? I Know I'll Need Some Heavier Duty Wires And A Bigger Gap On The Plugs, But Will I Need More Juice From My Alternator As The Instructions From Hill Bill E Noted? I Think This Upgrade Is Easier Than What I'm Thinking, If Anyone Has Delt With This Issue, Please Give Me Some Input On How Tough Of An Upgrade This Actually Is, Or Any Feedback At All Would Be Greatly Appreciated.
      Yes, remove everything associated with the stock ignition.

Comment

I noticed the description of the distributor said it had an internal coil, but nothing about the ign module. The DUI distributors mention both the coil, and module are internal, i'm not sure if the DA12 that i'm interested in has an internal module as well.

Comment

Also if anyone could tell me the diference between the HEI and DUI distributors? There is a huge price jump..lets see..$149 or $380

Comment

Also if anyone could tell me the diference between the HEI and DUI distributors? There is a huge price jump..lets see..$149 or $380
            The DUI is a HEI. All you need to hook up the HEI is one hot wire.

Comment

less bucks and probably less quality...

I noticed the description of the distributor said it had an internal coil, but nothing about the ign module. The DUI distributors mention both the coil, and module are internal, i'm not sure if the DA12 that i'm interested in has an internal module as well.
              Alaskan, the DA12 is a cheaper version of the DUI. It has the module inside just like the DUI. The DUI is supposedly of much higher quality and comes curved for your engine. (Don't ask me to explain the engineering involved in the 'curved' thing.) I used the DA13 (V8 version) on Myrtle and have been very pleased with it so far. You'll def need new wires. I used the old twelve volt supply to the coil to power the HEI. It doesn't come with a power connector, but you can buy one for about six bucks, or use a spade lug. I prefer the GM style connector because it can't wiggle out of the hole.

Comment

Well I just ordered the DA12 sounds like it'll be a pretty good upgrade for the ole 258. Now I'll just wait for the weather to cooperate with my rebuild efforts up north here, still looking at 10 below for the next couple weeks. I'll post some pictures on here when it's all said and done should be around april-may. Thanks for everyones input.

Comment

Hei

Alaskan, You Will Love The Difference, I Did Mine And It Was Impressive For So Little Effort.. Enjoy It
                  Last edited by Taylwalker; 02-29-2008, 04:38 PM. Reason: MISS-SPELLED NAME LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X