X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Cover & Front Shackle Reversal

I have 2 questions for all of you experienced Jeepers. All the catalogs I have looked at are a bit confusing concerning motor size in liters. Is the 4.0 and the 4.2 both a 258 ci motor. Why do they only list the fancy finned aluminum valve covers for 1981 and up. Will they not fit for some reason on my 1980 258. Also my Jeep darts around on the road and I think the cure is a reverse shackle setup. My question is some people say you have to lengthen the drive shaft and others say that as long as you are not really flexxing the suspension alot you do not need to do this. I am on a really tight budget right now and am looking for the most economical fix. Thanks for guiding a Noob!!!

I also am trying to save my money to rid myself of the sloppy SR-4!!

the 4.2 is the 258. i dont know what the actual ci is for the 4 liter. never worked on a jeep that new. i did have an old chevy pickup with a 4.0, and that was a 250ci. i would assume that it would be there same. as for the shackle reversal, i know most people talk about how jeeps should have a different shackle setup, but before you tear into that to try and correct your steering, did you check everything else? my cj7 was terrible on the road, it was ALL over the place. Checked all the tie rod ends, the ball joints, the put a new steering box in, intermediate shaft, and rebuilt my column. That took care of it. My shaft fell apart at the lower joint when i took it out, and the lower column bearing looked like it never existed. now handles like a champ. IMO, a shackle reversal will not help you jeep stay between the ditches. although if your shackles up front are shot, your springs will be all over the place. replace with heavy duty stock hieght shackles.

Comment

Steve, the reason for the later years was AMC went to a plastic cover in those years and you need an alum to replace it. The earlier years had steel ones, they didn't need to be replaced.
      The reason your jeep darts all over the road is the front suspension. Something is not right. It can be something as easy as a tire balance and sometimes it can be very complicated. The first thing I would do is check your steering components. Make sure all of your bearings are good, ball joints, make sure your linkage is as flat as possible to prevent bump steer. Also have your caster checked and fixed if needed. Look for wear in your steering line, as mentioned before if the lower bearing in the steering column is bad you will have problems. Check all of your tie-rod ends.
      If any of these are causing your problems, putting a SRS will not change anything but the size of your wallet.
      Good luck in your search.

Comment

Thanks for the Info. I will have my front end checked out a little more to find out the problem. Then I need to remedy my sloppy SR-4

Thanks

Comment

one additional thing to what lostone said. the late model valve covers are different than the earlier ones. they are not interchangeable. if you have an earlier model you can save some money by getting a steel one. as far as i've seen the latter is not available in steel. i looked everywhere a couple years ago and they just weren't made.

Comment

Steve the only way to remedy the SR-4 is to remove what is bolted to both sides of it. Then it becomes what it is best for......a hunk of metal.
            Remove and replace with something different.

Comment

Working...
            X