X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My jeep is out of trans. shop!

Well, after 4 months, I finally got my Jeep back! And, the automatic transmission is pure heaven! The guy ended up moving everything and got 5 additional inches and put a cv driveshaft in her. Since I am a pavement pounder for the most part, I am hoping I have no problems with her! Is there any warning before something goes wrong or do I just end up stranded on the side of the road?????????? Oh, the guy put in a 350 turbo auto transmission to go with the SB 350 engine.

You say he moved everything, did he move the engine forward? I didn't think a cj5 could handle the length of an automatic. The driveshaft angle must be close to straight up.

Comment

i have a friend with a cj5 that has an sbc 400 with a th350. if you use the spicer 18 tcase it's not bad at all. you have to notch the tranny pan for the front dshaft, but it fits fine.

Comment

mcodrake

Yes, he moved the engine forward. The new automatic trans was about 4.5 inches longer than the standard t-176 that came out of it. He used a cv driveshaft to assist in the angle. BEFORE he moved the engine forward, the driveshaft was straight up and terribly rough. Now, it is not bad at all, I was impressed to say the least, esp after discussing it on here first.

Comment

Thats just great, now the wish list just grew. Just kidding, I may want to go that route but it will be a while.

Comment

My 77 CJ5 also has an auto transmission.A friend of mine originally built it, and it has a 231 buick V6 and a TH400 automatic tranny.He just slid the engine a bit forward, and dropped the back of the tranny down a few inches, havent changed a u-joint since Ive owned it, 12 yrs now, believe it or not.

Comment

Hey there Havoc2000, how do you get 320 HP out of a Buick V-6 as your signature says? Mine needs help.

Comment

Working...
              X