X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Problem

Hey all...I've been here lurking for a while but this is my first post. I have a 1980 CJ5 that I just finished removing the manual brake master cylinder and replacing with a YJ Booster and master cylinder.

The problem is the front drivers side will not bleed. All three others bled just fine. This one is not even a trickle. It bled fine before the change-over...

Looking for suggestions on where to start with this and any ideas what the problem may be. Thanks....

Have You Bled The Master Cylinder?

Comment

Yes....and the other three lines bleed with no problems. Friend suggested maybe an air pocket in that line and try gravity bleeding it so I left that one line cracked over night to try and do so...no dice..

Comment

Try bleeding it at the proportioning valve and then go to the caliper.

Comment

You could have a pluged bleeder screw also.

Comment

The bleeder screws are pretty new and are speed bleeders...when you say bleeding at the proportioning valve...do you mean the line going into the prop valve or the line coming out of the prop valve?

Comment

Originally posted by aweart View Post
              The bleeder screws are pretty new and are speed bleeders...when you say bleeding at the proportioning valve...do you mean the line going into the prop valve or the line coming out of the prop valve?
              If you have the Russel speed bleeders I would suggest replacing them. I installed a set in my 86 CJ7 and at first I was loving them, but started having problems. They will not seat properly and two of the four staring sucking air and one starting leaking. I replaced them and haven't had a problem since. The speed bleeders are a load of

Comment

try taking the bleeder valve out completely. sometimes contaminents get in there and block that tiny little hole. if that doesn't work, try taking out the flexible line going from the hard line at the frame to the caliper.

i'm assuming you've checked for kinks in the line already.

Comment

thought I'd chime in. Did you by chance over-tighten the brake line? You can actually crimp them shut.

I would just backtrack. If you unhook the brake line at the caliper, does it flow from the master cylinder then? If so, it's not the line or the MC. So the problem would reside in your caliper or bleeder screw.

Comment

I would work your way back disconnection the lines. You did hold the pin on the prop valve right?
                    As for the Russell speed bleeders, have had them since 2003 and I still love them. Mind you it takes a little bit of care to work with as you cannot just over tighten them to keep them from leaking.

Comment

I'll start backtracking this weekend...Thanks for the help. I have flow through the other front bleeder on the passenger side so to me

that sounds like something from the prop vale to the bleeder not from the MC to the prop valve? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X