X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoured Crankshaft?

This is a continuation of my last thread but a little different topic. I just pulled the caps off my crankshaft to take a look at the journals. I don't know if this is common but the first and fourth journal and bearings were perfect. No heat marks or anything. The 2nd and 3rd had some major heat markings but very little scouring. Cannot feel to the touch any evidence of it. I have some pictures, but I was wondering if there is anything I can use to clean them up or if I should just pull the crank and take it to the machinist.
    Thanks

Heat marks as in that blue color?

Sounds like those journals may have been starving for oil. If those are not the journals that spun, make sure there isn't any gunk in the oil passages.

If there is no obvious damage, scoring etc. You can tell right away if the journal is bad by using a micrometer. Measure the diameter in several places. (I measure in at least 8 different places per journal.) Compare each measurement with a spec. sheet for that motor. a good journal will not be out of spec. anywhere, nor will it be severely out of round or tapered (smaller on one end), or cupped (smaller in the middle), or even mounded (bigger in the middle).

Comment

Yea the 2nd and 3rd journal were blueish and both had warn down bearings.

Comment

Working...
      X