X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ7 to Wrangler Body

Help, I have a 1983 CJ7 and bought a 1996 Wrangler replacement Body.
    I am trying to figure out what windshield I need to buy. CJ7 or a Wrangler. I am using the heater box from the CJ7. Also I need to replace the bushings. Maybe a 2" body lift. Do I need a 2" lift for a CJ7 or Wrangler?
    I have found a few links about the switch. If anyone has other links to this project, I would appreciate them.

First there is no 1996 Jeep that was the year they swich between the YJ and TJ. Make sure you purchased a YJ body and not a TJ body. If you got the latter then I don't know what to tell ya, good luck. If you do have a YJ tub then get the CJ windshield that way it will have all the required holes and the linckage will work out. You will need a YJ body lift as they use wider longer bolts. Go with the 1 inch daystar body lift its much less problems, when you get into a 2 inch on a Cj there are issues with the clutch linkage.

Comment

I have Done this swap a couple of times. You will need to move 4 of the body mounts the two in the rear and the two under the back of the doors. what i have done is to drill the frame mounts at the rear and then move the body mounts insert that is under the door. i seem to remember that the bodymount kit that we used was for a CJ because of the frame. it was just easier to do this and then get new hardware. The daystar kit is the way to go.
      Good Luck with it

Comment

Thanks

It is a wrangler, maybe a 1995. Thanks for the information. Still alittle confused about either a YJ or a CJ Daystar kit.
        Thanks
        JAC

Comment

Originally posted by Cramerding
          It is a wrangler, maybe a 1995.
          both tj's and yj's are wranglers. but the tubs are different.

Comment

According to JP Mag:

"Sure, technically there wasn't a '96 YJ. However, Jeep didn't just stop making Wranglers in 1996. Dealerships still had 'em on the lots. The 1996 models were identical to the 1995 models. Over 92,000 YJs were built in 1996. Call 'em what ya like, we call 'em '96 YJs"

So it seems that a 96 would be a YJ, and a 97 would be a TJ.

Just clarifying... don't have a clue on the swap though.

Comment

Not to get off track but heres the way it worked in 1996 they sold let over 1995 YJ's (they had a big run) as 1995's for the first half of the year. Then in the later half of the year they sold the 1997 models as 1997 TJ's. I worked at a Jeep dealer and there never was a wrangler that was given the 1996 designation on the title.
              Last edited by pghjeeper; 03-24-2005, 12:14 AM.

Comment

When I did my YJ tub swap for the rear I fabbed up my own heavy duty boxed crossmember and fabed to body mount to sit where the YJ ones sat. On the body lift I would recoment the YJ one.

Comment

Working...
                X